Testing What I've Learned in 2 Short Months

Hello, I have posted one thread before but I haven't properly introduced myself. I asked my wife 7 years ago to marry me, she got a nice diamond ring and she surprised me with an Omega Speadmaster, Professional, Co-Axial, Chronometer, 300M. I had been researching Omega watches like it for over 3 years so she must have noticed.

My daughters are grown, her son is in college and we can finally start buying nice stuff that we enjoy. I'll be retiring in about 5 years and ready to enjoy the finer things in life.

Here is an ebay watch that has a Buy It Now price of $ 1,565 and the writeup says:

DESCRIPTION:
BRAND: OMEGA
MODEL/REFERENCE NUMBER: CAL. 501
CASE MATERIAL: 18K ROSE GOLD
BRACELET MATERIAL: LEATHER
CASE SIZE: 33mm X 39mm (NOT INCLUDING CROWN)
Omega - Face.jpg Omega Back.jpg Omega Buckle.jpg

I'm basing this on what I have learned from you here on this forum. What I think is I'm seeing:

1) The "S" on Seamaster seems off, the bottom of the S doesn't seem right
2) Its listed as Cal 501 but "Chronometer" isn't indicated on the dial. Shouldn't it be?
3) The buckle seems to have the symbol indented instead of looking like it was attached on top of the buckle.

Did I get any of this right? I'll be ready to pull the trigger on something like this sometime this year and trying to confirm what I think I know.

I probably won't have much of a collection (I know, famous last words) just want to add a vintage 18k Seamaster with a 501 Cal. in good shape. I would rather have few quality watches than several okay watches.

As always, I'll be checking the Private Sales here on the forum.

Thanks in advance!

1) The dial has been repainted which is why the text is off, the lower text in particular - note the lack of Swiss Made text.
2) 501 is not chronometer rated so it shouldn't be mentioned on either dial or movement.
3) The buckle is probably a modern plated example, available until recently for ~£20.

That isn't a silly price for a solid gold Seamaster, more private sale than trader, but the refinished dial really hurts collector appeal.

501 is not chronometer rated so it shouldn't be mentioned on either dial or movement.

True in this case, however there were 19-jewel chronometer rated caliber 501s in some Constellations.

I'm a bit perturbed that the second photo blurs the inside of the caseback, where you would expect to read a lot of important info. You would also want to see the portion of the movement presently covered by the rotor. It's more what these omissions might be saying about the seller than necessarily about the watch. With "Seamaster" (completely) off too, and with five years to the end zone, I expect you'll be passing this time, but finding something special quite soon. Good luck!

I'm a bit perturbed that the second photo blurs the inside of the caseback, where you would expect to read a lot of important info. You would also want to see the portion of the movement presently covered by the rotor. It's more what these omissions might be saying about the seller than necessarily about the watch. With "Seamaster" (completely) off too, and with five years to the end zone, I expect you'll be passing this time, but finding something special quite soon. Good luck!

What you can see however, is pretty interesting... 😉

Anyone else see what is interesting about this one? 😀

What you can see however, is pretty interesting... 😉

Anyone else see what is interesting about this one? 😀
It looks to have a case serial number. If that is an Omega case, you wouldn't expect that as late as the 5XX movements. Does this suggest it is either a 1940s case or non Swiss maybe? There is a logo there but I can't make it out.

It looks to have a case serial number. If that is an Omega case, you wouldn't expect that as late as the 5XX movements. Does this suggest it is either a 1940s case or non Swiss maybe? There is a logo there but I can't make it out.

It's a non-Swiss case - there is the old Omega logo in the middle (and what I believe to be an French eagle's hallmark on the rim of the case) and more importantly no Swiss hallmarks on the rear of the lugs (which have an odd shape for a Swiss Seamaster anyway).

I don't see any gasket groove either. I imagine it wasn't branded as a Seamaster originally and I would put money on it being a French case.

Good point, no gasket, not a Seamaster. It looks to be a Franken to a greater or lesser degree then.

Wow! I was happy to notice the redial, can't believe everything else going on. I'm going to have to pay one of you to evaluate any watch I seriously consider for the purchase.

I may have to put my purchase off for a couple of years and read every post. Y'all are amazing.

Thank you for the input.