Forums Latest Members

Testing Loupe Optics Quantitatively--Your Help, Please!

1. woodwkr2 Feb 24, 2015

Gents,
    I've been acquiring a wide assortment of watchmaker's loupes lately. I'd love to conduct a thorough review of the optics involved including posting a few DIY methods for building a loupe or lens similar to the Loupe System.

My eyesight is good and I'm also quite deeply into photography as another hobby, so I know my way around fine glass, but it would be nice if I could test some of these loupes quantitatively so that my review was not so subjective.

I've been researching the topic of optical lens testing extensively over the past few weeks and have learned quite a lot, including just how expensive a proper optical testing setup to measure MTF is. Basically, I'd like to have a DOF and Magnification target, an optical bench, and the proper software (namely, Imatest).

Or, if someone could help with this sort of setup: http://eckop.com/optical-testing/mtf-testing/

Does anyone have any of this gear, either personally or professionally, that I could use for this project or get hooked up with?

Even access to a super high resolution printer would be great to print the test targets.

Thanks!

2. woodwkr2 Mar 1, 2015

Bump. Anyone have a test target I could borrow for a time?