Forums Latest Members
  1. mochastyle Aug 14, 2018

Hello,

I'm new here. I just got myself a planet ocean 39.5mm with an 8800 movement.

I see that its suppose to be super accurate (METAS). I guess I paid a bit of money for that part as well, so I'd like to test and see if it's running as per specifications.

Can you guys help me to understand how I can do that?

I would guess I will need to manually wind it 100% and then record the time and see how long it runs for? Or is there something else I need to do?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

queriver likes this.
  2. sevykor Aug 14, 2018

My method is to set it to time.gov time at a specific time (for example 10pm) Simple wear the watch if you want real world results. At the specific time each day, write down the time and do the math to see how much gain and loss you have. Now do that over the course of a week or two and you will see if there is a pattern. Whearher ots 70% or 100% would, there will not be much diffeeence.

Supah likes this.
  3. sevykor Aug 14, 2018

Also, new watches need a few weeks to months to settle in, so don’t forget to check again a few months down the road - results may be different.

4. mochastyle Aug 14, 2018

ok cool. thanks, I will try that. I actually wanted the watch for my birthday next month. but could not pass the deal I got. Do you think its OK to keep it in box till my birthday and test it? I dont want to do it but got to have something for my birthday as well :)

5. pkulak Aug 18, 2018

It's a 4-year warranty, and part of that warranty is that it runs +0-to-5 seconds per day. A month may mean you can't return it, but Omega will still regulate it for free.

mochastyle likes this.
  6. mochastyle Sep 5, 2018

Yeah that's a good thing. I wanted to see if I can actually see how it runs. So far it seems to be at -10s for 24hours. I'm trying to see if I can find the best way to place it to gain best results. Still trying.

7. queriver Sep 5, 2018

Welcome. You can use this free app to measure accuracy: toolwatch.io

watchesandcoffee and mochastyle like this.
  8. watchesandcoffee Sep 11, 2018

Always nice to see how our watches perform!

9. larryganz The cable guy Sep 11, 2018

Don't leave it in the same position the whole time you test it. Wear it or put it on a winder (or at least change the position so that each of the 6 positions get equal time - face up, face down, crown up, crown down, 12 up, 12 down). The watch might lose time in one position and gain in another, and so on average it could be dead on 0 seconds gained or lost at the end of the week, if you are lucky

I have been wearing my new Rolex Submariner No Date for three days, checking it 1-2x a day vs the atomic clock. One time I checked it and it lost 0.1 only second over a 12 hour period, but then over the next 35 hours it gained only 0.8 seconds total, and 12 hours later it didn't gain or lose any time at all, but the following 10.5 hours it gained 0.5 seconds total. It all depended on my activity level and position of my arm while wearing it, so it was never the same.

But on average, in the past 2.9 days that I tested the Submariner it gained a total of 1.7 seconds, which averages out to +0.6 seconds per day. I used a phone App called WatchTracker to collect the data and calculate my rate.

PS: With this accuracy, if it held up, I could set the watch twice a year at daylight saving time, and while wearing it every day I'd never be more than about 1.5 minutes off from Atomic time by the time of the next time change.

IMG_5078.png

10. SCTexas Sep 11, 2018

Have a look at the watchcheck app and the tookwatxh apps.

11. Gruesome Sep 12, 2018

If you have a week or so of time, let it run in a single position for 24 hours, note the offset to time.gov, then wind it, and set it down in the next position. After six days, you'll have a pretty good idea how it runs in all positions.

I doubt there will be much running in with this type of watch.