Forums Latest Members

Terrible service experience from Omega

1. Amsterdam84 Jun 16, 2016

So I bought my Aqua Terra 1,5 years ago but recently I noticed the watch was gaining approx 20 seconds each day. In short- it was getting very unreliable. I went back to my boutique and they send the watch to Brussels for a complete service as it was still under warranty (4 years). 3 weeks later I received my watch back by mail. A day later I immediately noticed the watch was running +30 seconds faster! A day later another +20. I really do not understand. Don't these watches go through extensive testing before the customer receives it back? I returned the watch with a critical note to Omega, I expected more on their side from a service/ testing perspective. Any thoughts/ similar experiences?

2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 16, 2016

I would not be at all concerned about gain/loss of this magnitude. It does not mean the watch is 'very unreliable'. I would always seek to avoid having a watch opened/worked on unless absolutely necessary. Seems a shame that on a watch only 4 years old you have incurred expense and worry without any actual benefit.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 16, 2016

@davy26 20 seconds a day for a new watch us not acceptable. Modern watches like the AT should run between -1 and +6 per day.

Causes? Could be a number of things. Do you work near/with any strong magnets? Leave it on your laptop, or on your phone?

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 16, 2016

What does it matter in living ordinary life if your watch gains or loses a few seconds a day? I like and buy
    watches, especially Omegas, on the basis of how they look and ‘feel’. To me, the value in an Omega is not in its accuracy, but in the timeless design, the history and heritage of the Marque and the Speedmaster model, the NASA associations, the development of the models etc. Owning them also naturally leads you into reading/participating in the several dedicated blogs and forums like this – another source of pleasure . . . and sometimes frustration when you encounter overly fundamentalist views/people!'

If someone tends to be anxious about their watch, why reinforce their concern by talking about ‘acceptable’ tolerances of accuracy, especially when that person will have no practical need to know the time within a very few seconds?

As in the automotive world, it’s always advisable to leave factory-built units undisturbed rather than having them messed with by any kind of facility with less than factory-standard facilities and expertise.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 16, 2016

If you have bought a performance car that is advertised as being capable of certain speeds and acceleration, if it is not able to perform, that is a warranty issue that should be rectified. Yo wouldn't accept a Porsche or Jag that crawled up a hill, because the feel or timeless design! Do I need a car that can go at 250mph or goes from 0-100 in 3seconds, no. But yo should except it to meet the factory specifications.

6. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 16, 2016

Being very well versed in performance car manufacture, let me address your analogy. Firstly 80% of drivers are unable to handle the fullest potential of a seriously quick car: in the same way, very few people need time on their wrist which is accurate to the degree you’re talking about.

If the car developed only 95% of the declared bhp output, but this still allowed the driver to exploit the car’s performance to the maximum extent of his capability, he can only stress himself by seeking verification on a rolling road and work to increase the output. I speak from experience – I had to deal with some owners who became very wound up and unhappy chasing an unnecessary outcome.

I’m a great believer in the idea that these relatively frivolous purchases should bring us nothing but enjoyment. I’m just arguing here that such enjoyment shouldn’t be spoilt by getting hung up on issues which are of no practical importance.

rhj, ICONO and CrisROSE like this.
  7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jun 16, 2016

The watches are indeed tested and must meet certain timing accuracies. This one clearly doesn't.

Did your wearing habits change recently which could account for the timing variance? If not, then something is wrong with the movement causing it to suddenly gain time, hopefully they will find, correct it and get the watch back to you quickly.

Rob

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. VicLeChic Jun 16, 2016

A certain accuracy and precision is part of the fun and enjoyment in my case. If I buy a COSC watch, I expect it to run accordingly. At +20 s/d I don't buy a Swiss luxury watch. We're still talking about an object with a certain utility, not just an artistic piece of jewelry on your wrist that looks nice.

ctpete, cruxexpert, Tuchka and 2 others like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2016

That is fine Davy, but I believe you hold a minority view on the subject of this watches lack of accuracy. 30 seconds a day, 15 minutes a month is poor and indicates the is a problem with the watch.

ctpete, Nobel Prize, ac106 and 6 others like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Jun 16, 2016

On the car analogy: if the speedo was out by 20% and made you think you were going slower than you actually were, and then you got caught speeding, that would be an unacceptable inaccuracy, and something that would affect every driver of the car, regardless of their ability to "handle the fullest potential of a seriously quick car".

If you pay for a tool to do a job, then it should do it's job as advertised.

OMGRLX and jcmartinez98 like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 16, 2016

Definitely not acceptable, and they should make it right. 3 weeks seems like a very short time for turn around from Omega...

Cheers, Al

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. uvalaw2005 Jun 16, 2016

I recently took an AT to the boutique to have the date wheel adjusted (top of the numerals were obscured by the frame); it was back from Seattle in less than two weeks (with date wheel perfectly centered). I could not believe it.

OMGRLX and overlinjw like this.
  13. BirC Jun 16, 2016

Very nice

14. Exarkun12 Jun 16, 2016

2 week turnaround is amazing. My fastest experience has been 4 weeks. Good luck to the OP in getting your issue fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 16, 2016

Yes - an inaccurate speedo would be unacceptable for obvious functional/legal compliance reasons. Regarding your final para, the point is that someone like me wouldn't even know that the watch wasn't 'doing its job' (in terms of very fine accuracy) as I'd never use it to time important things like rocket motor burns!

My main point is that if accuracy is not a big practical issue to an individual, it seems a shame if they chase it for abstract reasons, and, as in this case, end up with a disturbed watch which is still inaccurate. I completely understand that if part of your buying rationale is the actual and/or reputed accuracy of the movement, you will want to see this optimised. I also recognise that an element in my own appreciation of Speedmasters will be their NASA approval status.

16. tyrantlizardrex Jun 16, 2016

Watches are mechanical devices... by design they are meant to be opened for maintenance... I'm sorry but I just don't see your side of the argument.

A watch is designed to tell time, as accurately as possible, and to within a specification.

If it doesn't do that, and you're not interested in it doing that, but buy it purely for reasons of aesthetics... well that puts you in the same bracket as people that buy supercars to drive through Kensington at 30mph, revving the engine... not a desirable place to be in my view.

But each to their own.

cruxexpert, Tuchka, Linzer and 4 others like this.
  17. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 16, 2016

Your opening sentence is quite right - it's just such a shame that very often the firms/people who open them up don't have the expertise and care for the customer we'd all wish for. By the way, as you were a bit rude to me personally - 'putting me in a bracket' - I did say previously that I like good watches for several reasons, not just the purely aesthetic.

18. tyrantlizardrex Jun 16, 2016

As in, if a person thinks that, it puts them in that bracket.

I'm not talking about you @davy26 unless you identify as that sort of person - which you're saying you don't - there's no reason for you to take offence.

Just to pick you up on a couple of earlier statements:

The OP sent the watch back to Omega, under warranty, because it wasn't performing to the specification dictated by Omega, it's still not working as it should.

For many people these are not frivolous purchases. They are expensive items, hard worked for. Not trinkets. Large sums of money are paid for these devices to complete their job as advertised. A watch is designed to tell the time - Omega would dispute your statement that the inaccuracy of a timepiece constitutes "issues which are of no practical importance.", that's what watches are for.

Feel free to take any of the above as "rude". A little, or a lot. Knock yourself out champ.

To the OP @Amsterdam84 I hope you get this resolved.

Garv, Mothra, Linzer and 4 others like this.
  19. NT931 Jun 16, 2016

Ditto for me. My turnaround time for repair of my AT8500 (which was under warranty) was 4 weeks too. Honestly, 2 or 4 weeks, it's still pretty quick.

OMGRLX likes this.
  20. jcmartinez98 Jun 16, 2016