Forums Latest Members

Temptation - Seamaster waffle dial and other curios

1. Wyatt66 Jan 15, 2018

I’m new to vintage watches, still learning how to fish, but like actually fishing, impatient, impulsive and sometimes doing things I shouldn’t. It’s like a bad habit - staying up late, spending money I shouldn’t be spending on things I don’t really understand..... maybe need some rehab.....

I came across this interesting looking 1954 Seamaster with a waffle dial and a cal. 354 bumper. It was a reasonable amount of money, but I didn’t reel it in without letting it fight me. I can’t find any examples of the same hour markers on any pictures I have seen. Can anyone shed any light?

I also spotted a few other interesting items - again, none cheap as chips. The 18K UG put me off because it looked like someone stood it on its lugs and sat on it. The 9K Eterna-Matic also grabbed my attention but the crystal was cracked, and finally another old Seamaster, I don’t recall which movement, but a nice patina.

I can’t work out how to put the photos in the right place in this post, so i’ve just added them using the Add Photos button. I’m also struggling to rotate the images more than 45 degrees on this tablet, so unfortunately a couple of them are upside down. Seems I’m new to other things too. Sorry about that.

A888FDB2-AAD0-4BEC-8F4C-AB3059FD707B.jpeg 02B14A95-6011-4B39-A99A-579058CF9630.jpeg 626EF16A-18D6-4A07-8178-567921E5A8E7.jpeg
    jumpingsecond likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2018

I think it looks just fine :)

I have seen the markers before and it is an uncommon dial, especially with the textured dial - a very good find. The case looks very nice and in very reasonably shape - the crown is original too, as are the hands. Even the bracelet, while not an Omega item, is fairly desirable in it's own right. Not hugely valuable, but still.

You can tell from the logo that it's a fairly early Seamaster, pre-1954.

The only thing holding down the value is the stained dial, but that wouldn't put me off.

mydeafcat and Wyatt66 like this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 16, 2018

I wonder if that's genuine Bonklip on it too...

4. Wyatt66 Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for the comments - if there’s one thing I have learned from the excellent forum, from many willing and well-meaning experts, yourself included [blushes] @ConElPueblo, is that things may not be what they seem. I haven’t seen those markers before but I do like the waffle dial and am warming to mild patina, so it’s good to hear your thoughts. ‘Just Fine’ on this forum is worth having.

I know, and agree, that any item is only. worth what someone will pay. This is on offer for around $850, which seems to be a bit above what Seamasters usually go for. Does that amount seem in the ballpark given a degree of rarity?

Thanks again.

5. fjf Jan 16, 2018

Those are called (for obvious reasons) "coffin" markers, and are uncommon. The text is not clear enough to be sure (an in focus close pic would help a lot), but the patina and the general appearance of the dial seems correct. The dial seems to be in a less than ideal shape (the text looks almost erased), and 850$ seems a bit much, despite the rarity. Of course, it all depends on how much you like it. Remember, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If its a shop I would show them five 100$ bills and try.

heavenscloud likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2018

That's a tough one.

If the dial had been without the patina, it would have been a very good deal, as long as caseback and movement condition corresponds with what is evident here. The dilemma here is that it is a desirable dial variety, but in a not too desirable condition! Now, I would rather have a more common dial variant in better condition, but YMMV :)

I have noticed how prices for these Seamasters have risen the last year or two and seen these trade for similar amounts a fair few times. and as @ahsposo mentions, if it's a real Bonklip (or a Gay Freres...) ladder bracelet it sits on the 18mm bracelet end width is relatively uncommon and could be worth, what, $150?

If you can get it at $650-700, I'd be much happier with the deal. Maybe do as @fjf suggests and try your luck?

McKinley likes this.
  7. Selbo Jan 16, 2018

Here’s mine in black. Not a waffle but the same markers as your example. I agree with the others, you’re caught in the hard to find watch but condition is fair conundrum. Depends on what you’re comfortable wearing. Stains might drive you crazy over time. I would try to move the price lower.
    C24C5B79-22E4-4C5D-8FD1-55F07BD0BD44.jpeg

8. Wyatt66 Jan 16, 2018

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments - really helpful. There is for sure a tourist premium in that price, so I’ll go back and taken a closer look, and see what comes out of that. There’s a big gap between where the seller is and where I would like to be. I’ll also look for some branding on the bracelet - when I saw it my initial reaction was “hmm, what’s this flimsy looking thing?”. ::shy:: Most of the other pieces he showed me had cheap replacement leather straps, so I’d guess this one came with the watch when he acquired it.

A number of people have commented about the model versus condition dichotomy - so true, but at the right price, who knows? If I wait for the perfect rare & immaculate piece, I’d end up paying silly money, which I can’t afford (nor would I want to), so some degree of trade off is inevitable, and I am a great believer of the old adage “if it looks too good to be true then it probably is”.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 16, 2018

Nice piece. The price isn't too bad but if you can get it a hundred or two lower, I think it would be worth it. :thumbsup:

10. watch_nut Jan 17, 2018

That seamaster is very nice. even in the condition its in. To me i like a bit of patina to be honest. see if there's wiggle room on the price but in the end like everyone says if you like it you should grab it If the dial doesn't bother you the way it is. Vintage watches once they are gone they are gone and this is a pretty uncommon variation.

11. Wyatt66 Jan 17, 2018

Thanks - very much agree that they’re not making these any more. This patina isn’t particularly attractive, but I quite like a little light patina. Since I originally posted this I’ve looked at pages and pages of waffle dials and coffin markers and have concluded that these coffin markers are different to almost all of the others I have found. These coffin markers have a slight curve in the waist, so they’re not quite coffin shaped (which is why @fjf’s reference “for obvious reasons” wasn’t immediately obvious to me).

I found only two examples on this forum of the identical shaped markers - one from @Selbo above and one more from @pitpro on this link:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-ss-with-coffin-markers-original.10010/page-2

So, rare yes, and undoubtedly in no more than an OK condition- the price is still pretty rich - there are examples out there in really nice condition for that sort of wedge, albeit less rare. I’ll push for a more reasonable price, and if the answer is no, then I have a decision to make!

Thanks again for the comments!