Forums Latest Members
  1. Radiozoop Jan 29, 2016

Hey all,

So a while back I posted about an auction on eBay for a vintage Seamaster I was interested in. After taking some of the advice that was offered in the thread, I continued searching until I caught another listing in which I was heavily interested. Long story short, I bought the Seamster shown in the pictures.

Now, I understand that the case is polished. However, the seller listed the dial as "Mint Factory Original Omega," the crown as an original Omega signed, an original Omega signed crystal, and also an original caliber 562 Omega movement.

As soon as I received the watch I took it to a trusted jeweler who at least verified that it was authentic. However, I want to know from you guys, obviously a group with much more experience than myself, how I did. Are there any glaring mistakes I made?

I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

C5EF8626-8696-4685-B2F1-DC0AE6DA72A9.jpg IMG_1183.jpg
    Deafboy and Ravineman like this.
  2. cristos71 Jan 29, 2016

I like it, more so as it is your first Omega. The dial and hands are attractive and very clean. The movement looks to be in lovely shape, almost no wear at all to those nice, shiny screw heads. I´m no watchmaker so I can´t say more regarding its functionality but in my experience a movement looking like that will not have many, if any, problems. The only issue for the purist will be the polished case, which has been done perhaps a little too enthusiastically.

Overall a very decent first buy :thumbsup:

Edited Jan 29, 2016
    Garv, vinn2 and dragoman like this.
  3. OSP Jan 29, 2016

As long as the dial is original the watch should be ok. The over polish is not ideal but not a fatal error. The dial and movement look very clean.

4. alam Jan 29, 2016

Polished? yes. A museum specimen? no. Nice dial? absolutely! As stated above and not knowing how much it set you back, is an overall nice watch that I'd wear too!

5. Ravineman Jan 29, 2016

beautiful watch ! I am sure you will enjoy wearing it.

6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 29, 2016

A "purist" or collector might prefer the case to be less polished. Personally I think you have bought a very stylish and good looking watch.

What really matters is whether you enjoy wearing it.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 29, 2016

Now all you need is the gold-plated bracelet.

Tom

8. Radiozoop Jan 29, 2016

I paid around $450. Probably a bit high, but I'm not super worried about it.

Thank you all for your kind words! I'm glad that I could at least pull off a half-decent purchase, especially being a "noob" to the world of collecting.

Now the only thing stressing me out is this vintage Omega "bug" I've been bitten by!

:)

alam likes this.
  9. vinn2 Jan 29, 2016

radiozoop; welcome to the forum. have you collected (bugged) on other items, say vacuum tubes ? vinn

Radiozoop likes this.
  10. Sherbie Jan 29, 2016

Love the deep "coat-hanger" S in these old Seamasters - classic

Radiozoop likes this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 29, 2016

You did well young padawan. The force is strong in you.

( Yes,my son wanted to see star wars again)

OSP and Radiozoop like this.
  12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 29, 2016

ITS A HORRIBLE THING!

Stick it in a box right now and send it to me for proper "disposal"

No need to thank me, Its a service I provide.

jimik42 and Radiozoop like this.
  13. Radiozoop Jan 29, 2016

Hello vinn2, thanks for the warm welcome to Omega Forums! I don't actually collect old vacuum tubes. I am going to guess that you may have thought that because of my username, but alas, it is just a description of my day job. I just work with radios.

Sorry to disappoint! :)

And to all the others- thank you for your kind words! I look forward to frequenting the forum!

-RadioZoop

14. marturx Jan 30, 2016

Here´s my first Omega. Bought 10 years ago, and I still have it.

Omega no1.jpg

I´m a sucker for unpolished watches.

As comparison, here is an unpolished specimen, similar to yours

Omega goldcap 562.jpg

Etp095, OSP, Radiozoop and 1 other person like this.