Forums Latest Members
  1. nsmike Feb 27, 2012

I've been following prices on Omegas so that I'm knowlegeable when I buy. Am I crazy or are the 168.041 one of the best values among vintage Omegas? I'm still leaning towards a Seamaster but I'm very value orientated and this model Constellation is growing on me.

2. ulackfocus Feb 27, 2012

Page 15 of Desmond's article mentions this reference:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//aCaseStudydefinitive.pdf

The case shape isn't as popular as some models so it doesn't command the price of the others. They do wear quite a bit larger than the measurements say because of the increased surface area.

Many of the very late 60's and early 70's models haven't caught on yet so it might be a good time to snag one (or more). Another pair of good examples are the 168.015 and 168.025 Constellations. Despite having the same caliber 564 as the most sought after references from the 60's like the 168.005, these front loading cases get little respect.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 28, 2012

I think all of the calibre 751 range is under-priced, but the 0041 perhaps one of the most. A great example sold on eBay this week for a bit above 500 - incredible. The 0041 looks best with a strap that is the full width of the watch case and these days it's best to find a maker to make them up in black croc. It also came with a bracelet.

I did an essay on all the 751 models and there are more than one that remain under the radar. To be able to have a watch powered by a member of the family of movements that had absolutely no peers in production series movements at the time for only 500 up to less than 900 dollars is beyond my comprehension, so do consider these models as they surpass most Seamasters of the period (except the divers)

Cheers

Desmond