Forums Latest Members
  1. ninjamattic Jul 16, 2018

Out here in the Bay Area, heart of all that is blinky lights and screens, I find that my love of the technology I have to build out and maintain has waned over the years. After staring at three screens and an iPhone all day, and often a laptop or iPad at night, the idea of strapping another screen to my wrist has lost its appeal over time. Any other guys or gals out there reducing the number of screens in their lives, and donning a quality timepiece on their wrist?

amiriqbal, Mad Dog, Longbow and 3 others like this.
  2. hmss007 Jul 16, 2018

I'm a bit in the same boat, had several smart watches like the Apple Watch and Samsung Gear S3, which were fine but the one thing I used them for was to tell the time. So I sold them all and decided it was time to get an automatic Omega. I find myself avoiding screens as much as possible now. The only smart watch I use is when golfing - Garmin S10.

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 16, 2018

See! They can be taught!

get yourself a 30T2, turn off all the junk and learn to live again!

a vintage ride also helps.

Longbow, kkt, rmaloney00 and 5 others like this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 16, 2018

Fully, but, problem with this approach : once you don a quality mechanical timepiece, and move maybe to vintage, then suddenly at some point you realize you start to hunt these things, at which point, all the screens in your life become active again ... see where I'm going with this?

Mad Dog, Longbow, bazamu and 9 others like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 16, 2018

I have friends who have switched back to flip phones and just disconnected. I still love and value the utility of my I Phone + and will still upgrade. I have three I Pod Classics I use for music. I want but will probably never buy an I Pad. Never will own a smart watch. I'm making a conscious decision to wean myself off of addiction to the 24hour news cycle and social media. I'm trying to coach my 24 year old son that he wastes too much time on his phone. I do think he's starting to listen.

6. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 16, 2018

I am exactly in the same boat. The is no single way I get another screen on my wrist... the iPhone has already way too much of my eyetime, mostly because of Watch hunting and OF :p

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 16, 2018

switch off, yeah, um... hold on, lemme Google that....

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 16, 2018

Thanks to OF, I spend a bit of my 'disconnect from tech' time on the computer... :cool:

9. TDBK Jul 16, 2018

As a tech veteran with decades of computer experience, I've never even considered a smartwatch. Already way too many screens in my life. I'd like to believe that smartwatches will be a passing fad, I don't see a lot of wearers who actually use and benefit from the tech features regularly.

10. ninjamattic Jul 16, 2018

Oh man, glad I'm not the only one around here! I made the conscious decision last year to try and simplify my life. I've wanted an Omega since I was 13, and so for father's day/our anniversary my wife bought me a pre-owned Speedmaster 3222.80. I had no problem putting the Apple Watch away, and I never want to take this thing off of my wrist. Granted, my love for mechanical has been rekindled, and I do find myself eyeballing all the cool vintage models out there, but it's not near as distracting as the constant dings and haptics making me feel like work is some omnipresent demon I can't escape. Disconnecting is good. Viva la revolution! Lol.

Longbow and Riviera Paradise like this.
  11. Braindrain Jul 16, 2018

I'm with you there. Too many screen distractions and I force myself not to become too 'ADD' with it all.

12. ras47 Jul 16, 2018

I blame social media for a lot of our addiction to our tech. Phones in particular. We have raised an entire generation that knows nothing beyond what's posted on social media and visible on their iPhone screens. Like zombies, kids walk down the street with their eyes glued to their phones. Ask them for an opinion and they have to check social media before they can respond. Social media was full of promise, but like so many other things it's been perverted into a disease. A virus.

Longbow, Mtek and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2018

Didn't the Unabomber have a manifesto about technology being evil?

kov likes this.
  14. ninjamattic Jul 16, 2018

Alright, so sans smartwatch, what's on your wrist?

15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 16, 2018

[​IMG]

only thing dumber than wearing an iwatch or google watch or whatever is a squirrel wearing a watch

adil likes this.
  16. ninjamattic Jul 16, 2018

Hahahahaha.

17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 16, 2018

Sure, but before that people took what was presented in the newspaper and TV news as gospel, and used that to 'form' their opinions/ positions. And these days we are all aware at how biased/ skewed those sources happen to be. (Heck, where I come from the Washington Post is the paper, so take that for what it is worth. I still subscribe to it, but only to read the local news, comics and sports. I refuse to read anything in the International;/ National news section other then the whole frickin' 2 pages of the business section.

18. Mtek Jul 16, 2018

My wife teaches 1st grade. Students do a lot of work on iPads and air drop them to her, they don’t even walk up to the desk. No more cursive writing instruction in the curriculum either. Pretty crazy.

kov likes this.
  19. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 16, 2018

Democrats cry about Putin having some sloppy hackers get the Podesta's of the world get suckered into email scam, yet Google or Facebook sells the info of millions and nobody says shit.

Social media stiiiiinnnnnkkkkkkksssssss. It is an illness.

Larry S likes this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 16, 2018

Quite ironic, don’t you think, that this rant was done using ... ::rimshot::...social media?

Fritz likes this.