Forums Latest Members

Talk me out of a Railmaster XXL purchase!

1. WatchVaultNYC Jun 8, 2015

I have been on the fence for a Railmaster XXL for some time, esp because of the fact that it's frickin' huge! But I like handwind and I positively love railmasters (regretted selling one I had previously)

Yesterday I saw a picture of an XXL on a 6.5" wrist shaped flat like mine, and dang it didn't look that bad. So now I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I would rather have something smaller, like the new 40mm Tresor handwind but in a Railmaster case. But that's not going to happen soon. And I don't think I can justify a 43mm IWC Portuguese handwind 8 days.

I have the opportunity to select between 2 examples both at reasonable prices. Very hard to not pull the trigger.

2. peatnick Jun 8, 2015

think of how bad you'll fell when you bang it into a doorway, its so big you know that will happen at least once . . .

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

Its not all that tall although it is large overall, I've often considered one of these myself as they can go VERY cheap at times and it looks kind of cool with its massive size, sort of a Panerai feel at a price that IMO a Panerai should be at.

4. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 8, 2015

Ok, here's my opinion with respect to large watches on smaller wrists. Just as with 1980s shoulder pads on women and 1990s oversized suits on men (think NBA players), we'll reflect back on this as ill proportioned and sort of ridiculous. The same can be said of the current trend of oversized sunglasses. Now I know there are plenty that will disagree, and ultimately it's whatever makes you happy. Just my 2 cents.

Nobel Prize, Geo!, Maximus84 and 3 others like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Jun 8, 2015

To clarify, I don't have a 6.5“ as may have been implied by the initial post (closer to 7"). They are flat though which lets me get away with larger watches. A 45.5 POXL doesn't feel too big if on a strap for example. Wore a 47mm flieger handwind for a while and didn't look ridiculous. But never tried 49mm.

AAAKK likes this.
  6. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 8, 2015

Ok, I was reading it as you having a 6.5" wrist. I know there are plenty of variables like shape of wrist, watch design etc, but 49mm and 6.5" always looks wrong to me. But of course, plenty of people find that perfectly ok. Just a different perspective on proportionality.

Geo! and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  7. WatchVaultNYC Jun 8, 2015

My bad for not clarifying

AAAKK likes this.
  8. guelerct Jun 8, 2015

I vote for patience
    They will launch a new Railmaster at some point and you will kick yourself for not waiting

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 8, 2015

Wrong place to come and ask if you should not buy an Omega watch. But I think you knew that already :)

Seriously, if it fits do it.

As far as the newer version coming out. My guess is that Omega will continue to creep up pricing on the new models, and the price difference will make it easier to buy the one your looking at now.

10. WatchVaultNYC Jun 8, 2015

It's like "share in the agony and eventual capitulation"..

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. Buck2466 Jun 8, 2015

I have one I would sell you.....hopefully you can read between the lines;). It has gotten the least amount of wrist time of all my watches.

12. trama Jun 8, 2015

Get it, post lots of pics!
    Those IWCs are really sweet. They seem so light on the wrist.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2015

You are a dealer, so I suspect if it doesn't suit you, you can simply flip it...

14. WatchVaultNYC Jun 9, 2015

Yeah, but I'm also a fan, not just a seller. As a fan, I love this watch but as a seller, I would never commit the money to stock up on it because it will take forever to move. But yes, worse case scenario I can just flip it (though flipping is something I do not like to do)

15. chickenman26 Jun 9, 2015

I think pieces like this are more lifestyle accessory than timepiece, unless the wearer is legally blind. A person could get the same effect for a lot less money, which may explain why the XXLs gather dust in the showroom. You might try the 52mm Invicta that Costco has on sale for $79.99. If you find it looks like a manhole cover on your wrist, you can probably unload it on some 20-something in the bar tonight for $50.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 9, 2015

Need a pic on the wrist to give any advice.

Tall, short, skinny, built or fat ( big boned if fat upsets anyone ) has a bearing as well. :coffee:

17. WatchVaultNYC Jun 9, 2015

Part of the appeal of this watch is the statement that it makes, much the same as an Orange PO, or calling a watch a "timepiece". If people were to buy watches based solely on the utility of timekeeping people would stop buying mechanical watches.

18. Geo! Jun 9, 2015

Stop prevaricating, you want it buy it. It doesn't matter a toss what others think..........or it shouldn't.

Sorry I haven't complied with the thread title. ;)

Flingit1200s and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  19. Malbolge Jun 9, 2015

you probably think it didn't but it probably did to others. 50mm watches are ok if you are Arnie sized.

chickenman26 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  20. JDavis Jul 28, 2015

Hello... If you're serious, how much would you sell this for?

Thank you