Forums Latest Members
  1. x3no Jul 10, 2017

Fellow watch enthusiast @Adri and I were discussing a watch he currently owns that is the Universal Geneve Uni-Compax. It is a reference 124118-5 and 1074506 on the case-back. This particular model started to get interesting when we focused in on various parts of the watch. The Tachymetre scale was my main focus point while discussing. I had really not seen one quite like it before and I didn't know it came from UG like this.. Well Adri got thinking as well and we are not quite sure to the originality of the dial because of this. So, we present to the UG experts in hopes to get a definitive answer.

UG has historically been all over the place with various implementations and models, so I could very easily see this as being an all original example, but to the contrary I could also see this going the way of the franken.. The main question is, did the dial come from the factory with this scale on this watch or was it redone later? Any other parts of the watch not jive?

Here's the watch in question, followed by pics from SALA, and examples of Tachy scales that are close and a couple that are the same. Interested in the groups thoughts, and thanks for reading!

The Watch:
    IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

Now for SALA and a couple other similar examples:

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

And lastly, a couple examples out in the wild found online, and owned by their respective parties:

Screenshot 2017-07-10 17.41.58.png

More pictures here:
    http://www.laurentfinewatches.com/watch-expo/expo-vintage/2012-0211-Universal-Geneve-Compax.html

And on Christies (sorry for small pic, more here: https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...iversal-geneve-uni-compax-ref-124121-50/38907 )

Screenshot 2017-07-10 17.42.28.png

So now we have a tachy scale on a uni-compax that is the same position as our example being talked about, but it is GREEN.

What do we make of all this? Are they just flat out re-done scales?

Thank you all ahead of time and I am appreciative of each of your knowledge and comments regarding this thread.

Brandon

IMG_2881.JPG
    Edited Jul 10, 2017
    Adri likes this.
  2. Dre Jul 10, 2017

The dial on the watch in question is original from the factory, but it did not come with that case. The serial on the caseback dates it back to 1943-45, but that particular dial is from the 1950s.

The easiest way to tell, apart from the tachy scales, is to look on the subdial numerals, the longer font are normally found in very late 1940s-1950s watches. The crown seems to be from late 1950s as well.

B.Frost and Adri like this.
  3. x3no Jul 10, 2017

I did have questions about the serial on the case-back, and looking at Sala I thought it might date back to the early 40's based on the serial but I wanted to believe I was wrong.

The dial/subdials look original to me, but do you believe the tachy scale around the edge is also original?

Adri likes this.
  4. Dre Jul 10, 2017

The one from Sala below is period correct dial for the watch in question, notice the different between the subdial numerals.
    [​IMG]

The serial on this one below dates it back to 1954, the case ref is similar though not the same variant, the watch was made around a decade later after the watch in question.
    [​IMG]

In my opinion, the whole dial including the tachy scale around the edge, on the watch in question, is original. It's an attractive watch overall, it is also possible that the watch has a service dial, but it's really hard to be sure.

Adri and Jwit like this.
  5. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jul 11, 2017

@Dre thank you very much for your help

Adri