Forums Latest Members
  1. jimmyd13 Feb 28, 2017

I can't help reading these things in the voice of Mr. Cholmondey-Warner .... and remember, ladies, face powder is very fine and will eventually enter a watch and cause it to stop. So, don't keep you watch on your dressing table!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Cosd, Vitezi, heavenscloud and 14 others like this.
  2. djper Feb 28, 2017

"...a wonderful little machine"
    I wish all modern manuals were written in this style :D

3. jimmyd13 Feb 28, 2017

It's not just that, it's "a good article"

4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 28, 2017

"Do not grumble if the main spring breaks!".... "Face powder is very fine and will enter a watch...!":D

Maximus84 and jimmyd13 like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2017

Maybe jimmyd13 can tell us if there is a date on that publication, but my guess is that is was before the advent of white alloy mainsprings. Back when blued steel springs were used, mainsprings breaking was a very regular occurrence as they were brittle. But the new "unbreakable" mainsprings have really made a huge difference with how long these mainsprings last:

[​IMG]

Of course they aren't really unbreakable, but compared to the older springs it probably felt that way.

Also noted the advice to get the watch "cleaned" once a year, and they go on the talk about a proper service including full disassembly of the watch, clean, lube, adjusting. The use of natural oils back then meant that when the oil aged it would gum up and stop the watch, and it didn't take long for the oils to fail compared to modern watch oils. Modern oils just sort of dry up and mostly disappear, so they don't add enough drag to stop the watch. The do last longer, but it's a double edged sword because watches will run and run after the oils are gone, leading to pretty severe wear.

Living with mechanical watches was very different back then...

Cheers, Al

Maximus84, Vitezi, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  6. jimmyd13 Feb 28, 2017

It's undated but refers to Rone models: Seven, Fifteen, Sportsman's, Ladies' Sports, Waterproof, Dress and Sixteen. The Sixteen was made from the mid-30s and used a Phoenix movement: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Phenix_812.

I'm only guessing, due to it being last on the list, that this is the later watch the pamphlet covers.

Archer likes this.
  7. djper Feb 28, 2017

jimmyd13 likes this.
  8. jimmyd13 Feb 28, 2017

I do enjoy reading these old things but I understood the "article" I quoted to refer to the watch, not the booklet. The maker seems to consider the watch a necessary item of wear that everyone must have just like any other "articles" of clothing.

9. djper Feb 28, 2017

Sorry - I misunderstood! I'm with the author, having something on my wrist just makes me feel...together :thumbsup:

jimmyd13 likes this.
  10. j.allen Mar 1, 2017

I've only had one broken mainspring in my life and that was on a newish Invicta, (go figure.) It's the only one I ever bought.