Forums Latest Members
  1. yyir Mar 14, 2017

Thoughts on the new watch?

"The watch's modular nature that makes this the "First Swiss-Made Connected Watch." That's because the 45mm smartwatch module can be swapped out with a purely Swiss-Made mechanical option (Either the Calibre 5 or the much more premium Heuer 02T Tourbillon, which TAG Heuer claims has "the most accurate mechanical movements around") that transforms it into an "ordinary" luxury timepiece."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/14/tag-heuer-connected-modular-45/

2. Greatoldone Mar 14, 2017

Can't say that I'm a fan. The styling (imho) is trying to scream "look we're edgy and modern" - but just looks blocky and ungainly to me.

Plus I still don't get smart watches. Does it really save you that much time and make your life so much easier by not having to take your smartphone out your pocket?

3. Canuck Mar 14, 2017

Generally speaking, I like watches. But.............!

4. Greatoldone Mar 14, 2017

Also. The modules... can you really call them modules, when essentially it's just a funky way of attaching the strap?

b-16707 likes this.
  5. AveConscientia Mar 14, 2017

Good smart watches for now are living a cold dark death

6. Riviera Paradise Mar 14, 2017

Looks like a brave effort from Biver and I applaud them for trying to innovate, but there is a critical path issue that I can't see a workaround for right now:

1. You need enough screen size on the smartwatch in order for it to have any significant value as an information provider.
    2. Item 1 determines a large case size and essentially restricts the mechanical watch to a sporty look.
    3. The overall look of the watch is restricted by items 1 and 2. So the "mechanical module" must conform to this restricted aesthetic envelope.

So I can see this might work out OK as a one off, a sort of updated Swatch concept for the smartwatch era (essentially you get two watches and a bunch of straps), but I do not think this is a general direction the Swiss industry will want to go...which is what Biver stated he was hoping for. I for one might be willing to buy the Tag smartwatch just for fun/experimentation, but the mechanical module swap adds zero value proposition for me.

7. Wetworks Mar 14, 2017

I'm not at all a smartwatch guy, but I think these were well executed.

8. b-16707 Mar 14, 2017

Kingwear KW88 anyone? Get your tag lookalike with a camera for $100! =D Cant pay $1600 for a piece of tech that will be outdated.

[​IMG]

9. Jking something intelligent and witty... Mar 14, 2017

I think this is more to appeal to the younger "new urban professional" crowd in order to bring them into the Tag brand. The long term goal is likely to help convert some of them into buyers of higher end mechanical watches and bring the next generation into wearing "real" wrist watches as well as make some easy money in the wearables market today. That's my best guess anyway.

AveConscientia likes this.