Forums Latest Members
  1. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance May 21, 2014

A close friend has invited me to a small dinner party with Buzz Aldrin in Los Angeles. My friend knows my passion for Omega and he too has recently got the bug. I own several Apollo 11 anv. models. Would it be appropriate to ask him to sign the boxes or perhaps the watches (if that is even possible) or should I just enjoy the evening? Thoughts on protocol?

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 21, 2014

Personally, I would not hesitate to ask for a personalized autograph. That chance is unlikely to present itself again.

Asking him to sign more than one item though, crosses the line IMHO.

3. TLIGuy May 21, 2014

I would just cherish the opportunity to have dinner with Mr. Aldrin and forgo asking for an autograph at the dinner. I think he spends a good portion of his time signing autographs at $600 a pop (his current rate) and just came off a signing show at Spacefest two weeks ago. There probably is not a day that goes by he is not asked to sign something. I bet in a small dinner format he would relish the opportunity to talk watches, and all other things related, without someone asking for something.

That said, if you make observations that he would be open to signing something ask.

Just my my two cents. Enjoy the evening.

tpatta likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 21, 2014

that sounds right

Certainly agree about multiple signings. Beyond it being a bit abusive, you'll have a hard time convincing him you are just a nutter who owns multiples of the same watch - he'll assume they are for resale and you are trying to make a buck off his signature.

blackwatch likes this.
  5. speedbird May 22, 2014

If you're in a small, private setting, askigpng for an autograph is kinda tacky.

My my father is friends with a celebrity. It's hard for them to go out in public because of folks wanting autographs and photos. My advice? Ask him to share an interesting or funny story with you. That'll be worth more than any silly signature

lenny and TLIGuy like this.
  6. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank May 22, 2014

A photo with him would not be out of the question and that in itself would be a priceless memory.

Just a small tidbit for you:

"Contact light."

Spoken by Buzz are the actual first words spoken from the surface of the Moon; over six hours later, Neil Armstrong stepped onto the lunar surface....Jul. 20, 1969

7. pitpro Likes the game. May 22, 2014

a picture with the Buzz would
    be the way to go I think

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2014

Definitely, and I bet no one will even notice those 4 Speedmasters on you wrist :D

tpatta and blackwatch like this.
  9. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. May 22, 2014

Buzz was my favorite astronaut. He always looked like he was having a good time.

But if I had a chance to meet him in person I'd act as if I'd never heard of him or his accomplishments. (Just kidding.)

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2014

I would judge the situation at the time to see if the opportunity for a signature comes up, and only ask if it seems right in that setting. If thing seem okay to do so, asking for one would not be out of line, but I would not ask for more.

I've met a few celebrities and even made a commercial with one years ago, and during the shooting of the commercial I did ask for an autograph and photo together. I'm glad I asked as it does help reinforce the memory after the event.

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Mothra and TLIGuy like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2014

Wow Al, you're really Tiger Woods?

Davidt and blufinz52 like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2014

Just to clarify I'm on the right in that photo. ;)

tpatta and epl108 like this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 22, 2014

Perhaps you could fix his swing. ;)

14. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance May 22, 2014

Thanks for all the input. If the oportunity presents itself I will ask him to autograph one of the Apollo 11 boxes (one and one only), otherwise I think I'll just enjoy the evening with him. Chance of a lifetime.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 22, 2014

You look different out of your uniform

16. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. May 22, 2014

That picture was taken 30 years ago.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 22, 2014

Tiger's held up well

NT931 likes this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 23, 2014

My line of work places me in the constant company of celebrities.

So, here's my advice for what it's worth (3 or 4 cents is my best guess):

with the proliferation of camera phones, almost every celebrity HATES posing for photos.

with the exception of athletes, most celebrities actually enjoy signing plain autographs. Meaning: they don't like signing merchandise but will gladly sign a copy of todays newspaper or a plain piece of paper.

you can also personalize an autograph and have the person sign it. They generally like this. for example: You could write something like "I can't believe I actually shared the best meal of my life with _______."

Personalized autographs generally have no resale value so celebrities like signing those. It removes any doubt as to your intent.

I had Alec Baldwin sign my friends arm the other night with a sharpie - "worst tattoo ever, Love Alec". later on we took a photo of the tat for posterity. Good clean fun.

tpatta likes this.
  19. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. May 23, 2014

consensus seems to be "bad idea".

TLIGuy likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2014

It would be a Quantum Leap to think the Enterprise I command is anything more than a watch repair business mate.

The only uniform I wear is a shop coat, at least since my very brief stint in the military some 30 years ago...

Cheers, Al