Forums Latest Members

Tachymeter on Speedmaster slightly rotated on the left

1. FedFod Aug 5, 2019

hi everybody,
    Since one month I am the happy owner of a new Speedmaster sapphire sandwich.
    I have noticed that the dot on the tachymeter in correspondence of the 12 hour is not perfectly aligned with the hour marker, but slightly on the left. I’ve seen online that almost all the speedmasters have this characteristic, so I was asking myself, is this an alignment error or is it normal? And why should be so?
    Thank you for any answer!

image.jpg
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 5, 2019

Maybe it looks different in person but I don't see it.

FedFod and 89-0 like this.
  3. bama2141 Aug 5, 2019

“Why should it be so?” —- in a word - Humans!

Archer and FedFod like this.
  4. ext1 Aug 5, 2019

FedFod likes this.
  5. PhilF Aug 5, 2019

Perhaps I'm overly prone to suggestions, however, went to the Omega USA website, looked carefully at their pictures of both the Sandwich & Hesalite models, the Hesalite alignment was perfect, the Sapphire looked just a micro-tad to the RIGHT! Either optical distortion or (gasp!) human error. My Hesalite looks absolutely centered. In any case, I wouldn't loose a minute of sleep on this. I'd post a picture but still learning how that works. A Speedy is, IMHO, what a chronograph should look like, absolutely classic. Mine was purchased at about the same time as yours, relax & enjoy.

OMEGAX-33 and FedFod like this.
  6. BatDad Aug 5, 2019

The OP is right you know... to my eyes, it’ _ever so slightly off_ - but that’s some attention to detail!!

It’s a very easy fix for a watchmaker - but I’ll wager $5, without computer control - it’s going to be very difficult to get it exact... a human could align it just ever so slightly the other way... so it may be worthwhile living with it? Or maybe buying another one. ;)

On the point of marketing perfection - Have you considered the images on marketing material may have been photoshopped. I don’t want to say they aren’t real.... but the computer guy in me says - those pictures aren’t real...

Would love to hear from others closer to the Omega site if that’s true or no..

FedFod likes this.
  7. lustrousaurus Aug 5, 2019

Try running the chronograph for several hours (maybe 6 hours, if I recall). When you reset it, it should hopefully align itself.

FedFod likes this.
  8. FedFod Aug 6, 2019

Thank you all for your answers!

From the official Omega website the tachymeter is perfectly aligned (first picture), while an unofficial dealer shows one like mine, with the tachymeter slightly on the left (second picture).

I will surely not loose sleep on this, but those little details somehow keep bothering me : (
    I will mention this when I'll send it for the first service in some years.

Thank you my friend, but I'm not referring to the chrono hour hand issue, that's another story, with which I'm trying to live in peace : )
    I was referring to the tachymeter bezel not being perfectly aligned.

omega_official.png speedmaster_unofficial.jpg
    lustrousaurus likes this.
  9. dinexus Aug 6, 2019

I don't see it either.

10. whyboddau Aug 6, 2019

I had to put on my glasses, and after staring for 10sec, I see it!! If you bought from an AD or OB, ask if they would center it.

11. Yukatan Aug 6, 2019

I saw what you're saying immediately, but I think the Speedy is ever so slightly leaning to the left, which skews how you see it more. To be nitpicky, technically the first picture on the Omega website is slightly to the right.

FedFod likes this.
  12. Meme-Dweller Aug 6, 2019

Find an experienced watchmaker to align the bezel if you don't know how to do it yourself. Literally takes a minute to pop it off, align it, then use a bezel press to put it back on.

oh, and this is to help the people who can't see it, I can:

815569-df2c97b1b585ffa48bd94a14a64b5d83.jpg
    FedFod likes this.
  13. jlskmi Aug 6, 2019

At least your second hand is aligned. Mine had to go back last week (1 day old) eN2fZUruSj28Z0MIsRr8Gw.jpg ZaeHIrfGSxiOiXhYWgWQmQ.jpg

eN2fZUruSj28Z0MIsRr8Gw.jpg
    FedFod likes this.
  14. FedFod Aug 7, 2019

Your tachymeter looks aligned though : )

For the moment I cannot be bothered to send it back to Omega, I will definitely mention this in the next service.

15. 64Wing Aug 7, 2019

16. 64Wing Aug 7, 2019

Sorry, I just hate a typo and couldn't leave this one be lol

FedFod likes this.
  17. TJH Aug 7, 2019

Mine is ever so minutely to the right...but it doesn't concern me. :eek: