Forums Latest Members
  1. optsdan Sep 25, 2018

Hello!

On a whim, I decided to book a trip to Switzerland next Mon.

I’ll be cycling from Zurich to Geneva over a week - via Lucerne, Interlaken and Bern.

Any recommendations for some vintage dealers / interesting watch museums on my route? Otherwise any other tourist recommendations?

Thanks in advance, Dan.

shishy, rob09 and gemini4 like this.
  2. fibonacci086 Sep 25, 2018

Hi, Sounds like a very nice plan.
    How about a pass by Bienne to visit the Omega Museum and check the new Swatch building in construction

3. Alphasports Sep 25, 2018

The Gubelin shop in Lucerne near the old covered bridge on the lake is a nice shop, been selling/servicing my family's watches since the 40's.

isaac.owen.nz, joeshoup and Tony C. like this.
  4. ioaniro Sep 25, 2018

Also is weather doesn't improve bring some winter clothes, is 4° Celsius in the morning . There's also the Longines museum in Saint-Imier and the pathek museum in Genève. The longines and omega museums would be on the way if you go through Bienne/Biel rather than interlaken though.

5. Alphasports Sep 25, 2018

Excellent ideas, worth the trip

6. Vitezi Sep 25, 2018

Calling @Syrte, she was just there!

7. FreelanceWriter Sep 25, 2018

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 25, 2018

I visit Zurich several times every year, and like it very much. There are a several interesting vintage dealers, though prices tend to be high. These are all in the central district, and within easy walking distance of one another. For a nice vegetarian bite to eat, try Tibits (close to the Greenwich shop noted below).

Also, you should definitely visit the Beyer Museum.

This shop is small, but has a nice array. I have found a couple of good opportunities here over the years.

Uhrenatelier Rindermarkt
    Rindermarkt 21, 8001

Big selection here, but unfortunately the owner has chosen to have many of his offerings polished. I used to find very nice watches in original condition here, but haven't bought anything in recent years.

Greenwich
    Rämistrasse 2, 8001

A short walk from Greenwich. They have a great selection of desirable vintage sports watches, but quite expensive.

Swisstimearts
    Schifflände 10, 8001

This shop has been here for a very long time. The owner is interesting, and speaks good English. Expensive. Close to the aforementioned Beyer Museum.

Timeless Gallery
    Kappelergasse 16, 8001

This is a small shop on a bridge. The interesting owner divides his time between Zurich and Brazil, where he has a farm. I have bought a couple of nice watches from him over the years.

Antique watch
    Rathausbrücke, 8022

Edited Sep 25, 2018
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 25, 2018

Sounds like a great trip. If you have the time and endurance consider taking the postal bus road (paved but no cars allowed) from Meringen over the Gross Scheidegg and down to Grindelwald and Interlaken. Truly spectacular views of the Bernese Alps and if you run out of gas, you and your bike can complete the trip on a Postal Bus.

10. WatchVaultNYC Sep 25, 2018

On a whim, I may decide to treat myself to a poke bowl, or some prime rib, not a trip to CH!

Threads like these make me feel that I have gotten into a hobby too rich for my blood.:whistling:

kkt, BenBagbag, Paul Uk and 4 others like this.
  11. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

Fantastic, I can easily detour from Bern and swing via Bienne. Sounds great, I’ll keep you updated.

12. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

So, I have a full spare day at Interlaken. I feel adding this extra section onto the Lucerne - Interlaken leg will add a little too much time, and cut my free time in Lucerne.

Of course, I could day trip it from Interlaken on my down day?

Actually - the route seems totally attainable, is this the postal bus route you talk about?

B7648654-E6E4-4EF1-BB55-74B773B9D3FC.png

gemini4 likes this.
  13. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

Horses for courses! I love cycling and currently work shifts - 4 on, 4 off. It means I can have a European cycling trip almost every other week!

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  14. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

Tony - thanks very much. Depending on the condition my bike comes off the airline and how long it takes to assemble, I may drop in and have a look!

Tony C. likes this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 26, 2018

Yes, I believe it is!

16. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

Well I've got a day to recover!

Day 1 planned - Zurich to Lucern via, what looks like, some pretty phenomenal scenery.

For my context - how challenging would you consider the climb you described? I'm pretty new to the climbing scene and haven't really done much training. Good level of fitness and an average at best Giant Defy underneath me! Slow and steady for a 'novice' climber? Or perhaps a little too taxing?

edit. Just noticed the 66.66. Guess fate stipulates I won't make it to day 2!

Day 1.PNG
  17. queriver Sep 26, 2018

If you've got a spare day around Interlaken, I recommend locking up your bike and taking a train up to Kleine Scheidegg and then up to the Jungfraujoch. It is truly spectacular -- and you can't do it on pushbike.
    https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/

gemini4 likes this.
  18. optsdan Sep 26, 2018

Thanks for the tip - I did look at that, however the train fayre is extortionate!

gemini4 likes this.
  19. queriver Sep 26, 2018

You're right, I didn't delve into the fares -- CHF210 for a return ticket on a 2 hour train trip is as steep as the train route, but it's cheaper than buying a watch.;)

20. Guiguit Sep 26, 2018

in Geneva:
    Davidoff brothers
    Le vieil horloger
    Ponti