Forums Latest Members
  1. NotAClue Jul 19, 2020

Hello again community.

Looking from some advice here. I am inclined to pull the trigger on this rolex GMT. Long story short, it belongs to someone I know, the price is quite fair for both sides. It comes with its document (dating from 05/1995) and box (inner and outer box).

The question is the dial. I thought "swiss only" dials were made only between 98 and 99/2000. If this one dates to 1995 can it be period correct? Or was it replaced like 5 years after its purchase? Doesn't make to much sense to me :thumbsdown:

If someone more enlighten than me could elucidate me regarding this subject I would be very grateful.

thank in advance

IMG_5178.jpg
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 19, 2020

It's my understanding that when Rolex moved from Tritium to Luminova, in 1998, they changed the dial to Swiss only. About a year later, when they switched to Super Luminova, the dial changed to Swiss Made.

watch3s and NotAClue like this.
  3. NotAClue Jul 19, 2020

Exactly my point... the thing is the bracelet is a 78360 wich is also a late 16700 production also. On top of that I’ve been seeing several 16700 and 16710 from 95/96 with the Swiss only dial. I just wanted some definitive watch collecting community statement regarding this subject.

If it is a later replacement dial, wich kind of impact will it have on the price?

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 19, 2020

I would do more research to get a definitive answer whether or not the watch in question is a redial. For me personally, if the watch is what I was looking for and it's a good price, I'd buy it and not fret about the Swiss only dial. But that's just me.

IDXM likes this.
  5. themattedial Jul 19, 2020

Swiss only dials were only in production for 2 short years and not in 1995. If the serial on the case puts the watch at 1995 production, then this is almost certainly a watch that was serviced by a RSC and had both its tritium dial and hands swapped out for luminova service replacements at the time. This will definitely impact the value of the watch, as it's not in original condition. If you are looking for a daily wear watch, can pick this up at a discount considering its history, you might just grab it. Also... Swiss Only dials are collectable in their own right (on a correct watch)... so maybe there's a way to make a swap at some point if you're inclined.

blufinz52, leefowler and NotAClue like this.
  6. NotAClue Jul 19, 2020

What I wanted to hear! Cheers!

IDXM and blufinz52 like this.
  7. Sherbie Jul 20, 2020

Crown guards look soft to me

Have you got photos of the ref and serial number ?

watch3s and NotAClue like this.
  8. NotAClue Jul 20, 2020

Ref is 16700 and it is a S serial (dating it from 94).
    Everything checks... minus the dial/hands... Crown gards are ok I guess... a bit soft as you said... but still ok IMHO.

Does anyone happen to known if the T<25 dials found on eBay are correct? Or are they fake? Is it easy for a watchmaker to change the dial? Just trying to figure out if I should leave it as it is or try to make it look as original as possible

Thanks again for your help

9. Huus Aug 3, 2020

I fully agree with the above. Just like to ad "Swiss" only dials were released on the later U serial ('97) and earlier A series ('98 and part '99), this is most likely a luminova replacement dial and hands by Rolex service dept.
    If you think of replacing with a genuine Rolex T25 dial then replace the hands for Tritium hands also as the difference in color between Luminova and Tritium can be very obvious. And eBay for such a purchase, a big HHHHHMMMMMMM, check it out thoroughly.

10. Sherbie Aug 5, 2020

I’d pass and look for a better 16700. They are out there

this one will be a huge heap of trouble

This one is mine, also S serial, with a Period correct coke Insert added for variation ( i have the faded original pepsi locked away) - this is what the crown guard and side case should look like

7D72357E-A1B3-4159-832F-CB97263BE844.jpeg FED8AF15-E79F-4416-9DBB-C39884BD84DC.jpeg AE22414F-2314-444C-891A-E6D0BE92BDE2.jpeg

watch3s likes this.
  11. kaapstadflaneur Aug 6, 2020

Agree that OP's watch likely has a Swiss only luminova service dial; but if it's intended to be worn on a daily basis and the price is right (e.g. low), then I don't see any reason not to buy it. If the OP is looking for an investment piece, then this isn't the right watch given the Swiss only dial and the soft crown guards.

As an aside, even within the Swiss only dials for the Ref 16700 there are variations. Earlier Swiss only dials (mostly on U serials, but I've also seen them on A serials) have three short minute indices at 29, 30, and 31. Later Swiss only dials have only one short minute index at 30 below "Swiss"; the 29 and 31 indices are longer and surround the letter S at each end of "Swiss". This later dial variation appears primarily on A serials, as well as service dials.