Forums Latest Members
  1. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

I have a 50th anniversary speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.001

There are varying specification sheets saying 50m versus 100m water resistance. Can anyone just give me a yes/no on if I can swim in it?

2. Maganator Jul 17, 2017

You'd have to be quite small to be able to swim in it - they are only 40mm wide.

lando, Shailor, Nathan1967 and 15 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 17, 2017

Speedy or speedo? Please no pictures if the latter!

(These watches are are water resistant and not waterproof. Accidental dunking, rain etc ... not swimming)

mr_yossarian and speedyfan66 like this.
  4. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

is what I though, was told it was 50m when I bought it which means no swimming to me but a few articles I've read have it similar to the pro moonwatch at 100m which would mean swimming ok. Excuse to buy another watch anyway ha

5. ConElPueblo Jul 17, 2017

I know I shouldn't reply to these threads, but...

In my eyes there is absolutely no reason why 50M of water resistance shouldn't make this watch entirely suited to swimming. Unless you swim at 60M of depth, naturally. Omega seems to state as much with their water resistance chart...

If the seals are okay, there shouldn't be any issues. At the end of the day, it's at your own risk.

What will make a 50M watch fail it's water resistance when swimming would likely make a 100M resistant watch fail it too...

watch3s likes this.
  6. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

The depth figures are a misnoma, generally 50m means no swimming, 100m is entry for being able to swim in a watch

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/what-does-water-resistance-in-diving-watches-mean

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 17, 2017

Great reference. You answered your own question.

watch3s likes this.
  8. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

Yeah, I knew the info just was getting mixed reports on the watch itself being 50m or 100m.

watch3s likes this.
  9. ac106 Jul 17, 2017

Nathan1967, Davidt and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Jul 17, 2017

Gentlemen Quarterly? Really?

I posted in a similar thread last year (it's not as if this hadn't been debated to death...) where I posted the Omega Water Resistance Chart:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedy-pro-and-water-resistance.37202/

Feel free to have a look... You could also choose to look at a number of other sources and after a few days, you'll wan't to take off your Submariner before doing the dishes.

Facts:

1. 50M WR is, according to the actual manufacturers of the watch and not some fashion magazine, suitable for submersion in water (the icon shows a swimming man, for those who have a difficult time to figure out what "submersion" means).
    2. 50M or 100M of water resistance is worthless if the seals are compromised.

11. Golfjunky Jul 17, 2017

i must baby mine too much if people go swimming in there speedies.

watch3s and Euxinus like this.
  12. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

It was just the first reference in google and as you point out the general outlook is as I've have qualified above. You are stating that your opinion differs and have offered evidence on the condition the seals are in tact. Omega are a higher end manufacturer so their standards are likely higher as you point out than the general "50m watch" which is what GQ are pushing there. Not that I have any personal issue with GQ and I wouldnt expect them to publish an article like this without having their facts straight. It's hardly click bait.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 17, 2017

Perhaps with cheapskate watches, but I am pretty certain Omega takes no shortcuts, and pressure test everything. They did that for me at the Omega Flagship store when I asked them (watch still under warranty, so they had to), so cant see why they wont in the factory.

Its fairly simple : gravity pulls the entire atmosphere down on top of you ... at sea level, this column-of-pressure is known as 1 atmosphere. The equivalent pressure under water is the gravity of 10m of water above you. Thus at 10m depth, you have 1 atmosphere of air plus 1 atmosphere of water...2 atmospheres.

For 50m, that should be 6 atmospheres of pressure (50m water + all the air in the world above you).

Thus, using a strong box, and perhaps a compressor, the same pressure in water can be recreated on land.

@Archer showed us some pics of his kit here : https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-often-do-you-guys-service-your-rolexs.60553/page-2#post-756457

I am willing to bet hard cash that Omega ratings are based on pressure tests, similar or beefier than the pics posted by Archer, especially if being an Omega qualified watchmaker means this test must be done (I speak under correction).

Regards,
    E

Edit : BUT if your watch is old, or hasn't been serviced(or pressure-tested) in a while, or has wrong non-sealing pushers etc, I would definitely not risk it! Also, don't mess with the crown or buttons whilst underwater.

Edited Jul 17, 2017
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. sgrossma Jul 17, 2017

I would not worry about a light swim or a shower.

15. ConElPueblo Jul 17, 2017

I have no idea about the integrity of GQ, but when looking for advice on water resistance on a specific few watches, I'd go to the manufacturer instead. Omega tests their watches at the stated depth at the time of manufacture and advises that the watch is pressure tested every year.

Fun fact - in the earlier WR Chart, Omega treated 30M, 50M and 100M WR watches the same way; as suitable for submersion :)

At the end of the day, to swim or not to swim with a Speedmaster is up to the wearer. Of course it's a risk, as it is by no means a perfect dive watch, but from a technical view point, WR alone shouldn't disqualify it.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 17, 2017

And Rolex state that they do 1.25x rating. So a 4000ft Seadweller has been tested to 5000ft...

17. SouthernScot Jul 17, 2017

In the days when my 003-65 Speedy was new (and I was a great deal younger) I used to swim wearing it, I didn't know any better back then, but it didn't do it any harm, it has been serviced a few times since those days including STS in April this year who pronounced it to be in great shape. Would I do it now or with the 60th which I hope is coming soon? Absolutely not!

18. ConElPueblo Jul 17, 2017

Oh, and wait a second...

No pictures?!? :eek:

@speedyfan66 - show off you 50th Anniversary Speedy! :thumbsup:

oddboy likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2017

If its a 50th anniversary, the seals are well past needing replacement at this point regardless if they haven't been done very recently, so I'd get that done first before even considering getting it wet.

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. speedyfan66 Jul 17, 2017

Haha no problem

IMG_3806.JPG