Forums Latest Members

SOLD Sweet Vintage LONGINES 12.68Z from 1957!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 14, 2020

Up for grabs is a very nice vintage Longines. It is all original to my knowledge, with the possible exception of the crystal. It dates to 1957, was originally sold in Portugal, and is in very good to excellent overall condition.

Although I joke about sellers using the "C-word", the fact is that this dial design is a very pleasing style, similar to the iconic Calatrava. Here are a couple of examples of Patek Philippe Calatravas, including the 3, 9, 12 Arabic design:

https://www.phillips.com/detail/patek-philippe/CH080216/63

https://www.matthewbaininc.com/watch-details/765

The dial is very well preserved, with a few very small marks, mostly evident under magnification. The steel applied indexes are of high quality, and in excellent condition. The combination of the Arabic numerals and "shark's teeth" indexes is very nice. The hands are also of high quality, as I see little if any evidence of corrosion, which is a bit unusual for watches that are 60+ years of age. The sub-second dial is large, has a pleasing concentric circle design, and is also sunken, a feature that I have always liked.

Please note that I have no doubt about the originality of the dial. Not all dials were marked "SWISS" or "SWISS MADE"!

The steel snap-back case is in very good condition. It measures 33.5mm excluding the signed crown, but definitely wears larger due to the narrow bezel and large dial. The dial measures ~30mm, which is, for example, only around 1mm less than a dial on a 36.5mm ETERNA that I own. The case presents well, but there are light scratches from regular use that are evident under magnification, and also very light evidence on the back of a NATO strap having been used. This could very easily be polished away, but I left it as found. Note that there is a (cool, in my view) Portuguese tax stamp on the upper left lug, confirming that it was first sold here, and obviously remained in Portugal.

The classic, well-finished cal. 12.68Z movement is clean, and in excellent condition. It was recently cleaned by my watchmaker, and is working well, but I do not know the last date of a full service. This caliber, and its center-second brother, were among the finest highest-production manual-wind movements manufactured during the '40s and '50s.

[​IMG]

This reference (7033) doesn't appear on the market very often, and I consider this dial variation to be the most desirable. Here is an identical example that apparently sold for ~1000€ through a dealer:

https://timerediscovered.com/products/longines-ref-7033-6-cal-12-68z-mens-vintage-watch

I ask 750€ (or USD equivalent) for the LONGINES, and will ship EMS express from my home in Portugal. Note that it will ship head only.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vitezi, janice&fred, Woops and 23 others like this.
  2. sliceoftime_ Oct 14, 2020

Man this is tempting.

VinceFR, sdre, LesXL and 3 others like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 15, 2020

Interest shown, but still available. I will consider fair offers in an effort to keep it in the OF family!

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 16, 2020

OHPF!

Syrte, yako54, Passover and 1 other person like this.