Forums Latest Members

SOLD Sweet and Genuine Vintage LEMANIA Chronograph – Three Register cal. 27CH

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 4, 2019

Up for grabs is this attractive LEMANIA chronograph from the 1950s, powered by a classic cal. 27CH. As most collectors know, the 27CH was the base caliber for the Omega cal. 321, used in the early (and increasingly valuable) Speedmasters. It was also used by Tissot , as well as other manufacturers.

The watch is in very good condition throughout, and I believe it to be fully original.

The stainless steel snap-back case measurers 34.5mm, is unpolished, well-preserved, and has no serious flaws. In fact, other than a few very light scratches that can be seen under magnification, there is only one worth noting – a light scrape on the lower portion of the case back (see the fourth photo below). I emphasize that it is very light, and could easily be polished out should the new owner choose to do so.

The dial is an attractive variation, with the large, red tachymeter outer track providing nice contrast with the dark hands and time scales. It is a very similar look to these popular MEYLAN chronographs, which were also powered by LEMANIA calibers:

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1960s-meylan-chronograph-in-stainless-steel?variant=33929621647

There is some degradation to the dial, as seen in the photos, including a couple of scrapes between 80 and 90 on the tachymeter scale. The upper portion of the A in the signature has faded somewhat, and the blued steel hands have turned almost black over time. In my view the watch looks very good on the wrist in spite of the dial flaws, and of course the price also reflects that while original, it is obviously not in mint condition.

The movement is working properly, and the chronograph hands reset almost perfectly. The stop-second hand is just a touch off-center, but I expect that a fine adjustment could easily be made by a competent watchmaker. I do not know the last date of service, and would, in any case, strongly recommend one for regular wear.

I ask $1350 or NRO.

Please note that the watch is located with me in Lisbon, Portugal, so EU buyers need not worry about additional customs duties. I can accept bank transfers in the U.S. or EU, or Paypal (I will cover the fee). I will be happy to include EMS (express) shipping at or near my asking price.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 7, 2019
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 5, 2019

Some nibbles, but still available!

aap likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 7, 2019

A couple of new photos provided to illustrate that the stop-second hand resets just a touch off-center, as mentioned in the original post.

Also, asking price reduced to $1350

Edited Jun 7, 2019
  4. Risto Jun 7, 2019

That is tempting watch! Love the movement, too bad they did not use the copper color :)

5. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 7, 2019

So rhodium plating is not as good or better?

Great watch at a very good price.
    And proper in-house movement.

The serial number points to late 40’s rather than 50s.
    1947-49 would be my best guess.

GLWS!:thumbsup:

slique12 and Tony C. like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 7, 2019

On Hold Pending Funds!

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 14, 2019

The prospective buyer disappeared, so the LEMANIA is back on the market! Another chance for forum members before I offer it to a wider audience.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 16, 2019

On Hold Pending Funds! (redux)

DRjre086 likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2019

Sold! Thanks to the buyer and Omegaforums!

DRjre086 and Lonestar like this.