Forums Latest Members
  1. pondruska Jan 4, 2017

Hi guys,

I just bought a new Speedmaster racing and I noticed something unusual about the sweeping hand of the chronograph and I would like to hear your opinion about it.

In its 3300 movement there should be 8 ticks per second moving the hand equal amount every step creating the nice continuously sweeping hand effect of the mechanical watch. I, however, noticed that in my watch these steps are not equal, usually one longer step is followed by one shorter step. But not every time, sometimes both steps are of equal size. This, as a result, breaks the visual smoothness of the hand movement as the hand appears to be jumping and shaking. I created a video captured at 240fps (taken with iPhone) to show this.

What would you recommend? Is your watch doing the same? Should I visit an omega store for repair?

many thanks,

Peter

Edited Jan 4, 2017
  2. U5512 Jan 4, 2017

Something is definitely wrong with the movement. Yes, it will need to be looked at by the Omega repair experts.

3. JohnGreen300 Jan 4, 2017

I'm no expert but do own a speedy racing, I've noticed the chrono seconds can look a little jerky, but never viewed it in slow motion so can't say it's similar to yours. Someone with more knowledge can probably chip in as I remember reading there is a reason why the 3300 appears a bit jerky compared to others.

Would be curious to see it running in real time but in my opinion if the time keeping is on point I wouldn't send it in for repair (unless it looks like a fault when running in real time)

Also, not sure if it's relevant but my speedy racing was running in general 6 secs fast per day when new and after 3 months or so settled at +2 sec per day.

*edit, just spotted its running real time at the start of the video and it seems fine to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JohnGreen300 Jan 4, 2017

Turns out the iPhone slow mo isn't too bad, here's a real time and a slow mo for you to compare and decide for yourself, mine does seem similar to yours when slowed down.

Cant say it annoys me but might set up a test with an atomic clock to see how accurate the chrono is over a ninber of hours, just for shits and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 4, 2017

Nope it's ok.

My speedy pro did the same and it's not an issue. 2nd some people with the racing say that if you run the Chrono for a bit it will resolve its self. It's due to some lash in the movement, and or lubricants not being being distributed due to long periods of none use. (Not sure on that last part)

The Chrono hand will always stay in step with the small seconds.

Although it is a different movement I will defer to more knowledgeable members.

JohnGreen300 likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 4, 2017