Forums Latest Members

Sweep second hands-sources?

1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 16, 2019

Looking to find matching sweep second hands for my Longines and Hamilton. You’d think they’d be relatively easy to find considering their shape but not really. The Longines requires an especially long post and the Hamilton is 14 mm long from center (most are 12-13mm long). Tried Esslinger, EBay, and Ofrei to no avail. Recommendations much appreciated.

DD6F6BC5-969E-4687-BE48-80F62C709274.jpeg B53CBD3A-5E79-45AB-9C7E-DDDFFB09CAF5.jpeg
    baac likes this.
  2. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 17, 2019

Anyone?

3. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 20, 2019

Those are indeed getting tough to find. Twin City Supply may have something, but it looks like the Hamilton hand is a bit long, and the longines is too short. Is that right?
    Also looks like you have "hour recorder creep" causing the hour recorder hand to drift from zero when the chrono is not engaged, or maybe it isnt fully resetting because someone change a pusher with a shorter "bolt" (pusher screw touching movement part).
    Long post sweep hands are rare, as nobody uses them anymore. Wish I had better help to offer

ext1, Rasputin and Larry S like this.
  4. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 20, 2019

Thanks for your input. Unless I overlooked it, I did not see much of a selection that would be a good match. Yes the Hamilton hand is long at 16mm. The Longines hand is relatively short but obviously one can trim a longer one to size. The key is to find one with a long post of the same shape.

5. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jun 21, 2019

I’m curious if anyone has tried painting a white hand to provide a faded look (in this case faded orange)? I’ve heard of it being done but don’t know where to begin. What brand of paint, type of brush, how best to match colors and apply, etc