Forums Latest Members

Swatch — omega “Mission to Mars” [VIDEO] HANDS-ON

1. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

I don't think it's the same thing for multiple reasons. First of all, the 911 and the 912 were actually very close in performance and not that far off in price. Secondly, the 911 had no icon associated to it, it just came out a few years back. Thirdly, the fact that Porsche NEVER did it again since almost 60 years ago shows how good of an idea they think it is/was.

I understand how this will be a different perspective for everyone involved, so don't think I'm trying to force my opinion, just providing counter-arguments in a productive conversation :)

Omega D likes this.
  2. bombaywalla Mar 24, 2022

A couple of them look nice -- Mission to Mercury & Moon.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2022

Its very cool, but Omega should not be on that dial. This is a cross segment experiment that was not well thought out from a brand equity, positioning perspective. Great for Swatch, a backwards step for Omega. OK with MoonSwatch I guess. Codified and enforced Brand guidelines Omega? Guess not.

4. Omega D Mar 24, 2022

Absolutely, keep Omega name out of it

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 24, 2022

So you are ignoring the Audi V6 and V8 engines used across every front engined Porsche model, and the badge engineering on the electric side with the Taycan and Audi e-tron GT? Oh and Macan and Q5 of course. And Cayenne and Touareg. You have your head in the sand if you think Porker keep their models pure. And I speak as a 911 owner so am hardly a hater!

ConElPueblo and Omega D like this.
  6. Dedalus05 Mar 24, 2022

These look to me like something out of a Pokémon ball - and appear marketed to that generation, and that kind of "collector" (fine, no judgement there on either front).

That said, the more I see of these in video's the less I like them. My initial reaction that this is a shameless cash-grab grows stronger. And limiting production and distribution of what are essentially cheap plastic knockoffs is insulting - it diminishes everyone involved.

Edited Mar 24, 2022
    Omega D and Larry S like this.
  7. Dogmann Mar 24, 2022

@dsio
    Whilst I agree with nearly all you said I do feel your post needs one minor correction which is in caps to highlight it.

"You bought a watch though, not a brand name. If your only means of enjoying it is ensuring that other people cannot possibly have it, you’re really doing it wrong as having something to hold over people you feel better than WASN'T what watch collecting is all about."

Unfortunately IMHO the good old days of watch collecting are long gone and insanity has infected what was once a huge amount of fun and most enjoyable. It is now infected by look at me now and how much and how many times over retail my watch is worth sheeple.

Marc

8. TLIGuy Mar 24, 2022

The only down side I see is a few years from now when tens of thousands of disposable unrepairable Omega/Swatches start showing up in fishing nets, washing up on beaches, and Omega/Swatch branded Velcro straps wrapped around small animals start showing up will the we truly know how this collaboration works out for Omega. They could be complicit in an ecological disaster of historic portions they never saw coming.:)

Only time will tell now!!!

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. Duckie Mar 24, 2022

Agreed:thumbsup:
    This could turn out to be a serious cradle to the grave scenario:thumbsdown:
    I can see the younger folk starting a watch collecting hobby with something potentially as substantial as these watches may turn out to be, then when they have more funds move on to the next tier up in Moonwatch collecting;)

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

You see, the problem with your post is that is is far too rational...that will never do when there's outrage to be had.

11. S.H. Mar 24, 2022

Those low end Porsche are still cars, with spare parts, serviceability, etc. They aren't thought and engineered as disposable. They compare more to the valjoux 7750 speedies IMHO: low end, a bit agricultural but very valid watches.

The moonswatch looks nice but it is not serviceable according to the guy in my local swatch boutique. When a hand falls off, a gasket fails, etc it's done for. Future trash by design, pure fairy dust and no substance... That is the problem for me, it makes me really sad.

connieseamaster and padders like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

There's an incredibly easy solution to your "problem"...don't buy one.

Omega D likes this.
  13. base615 Mar 24, 2022

Update on the secondary market lol
    DA25745D-3FA1-46CF-A55B-04DD9005B626.jpeg

14. alexxs Mar 24, 2022

Yes, you said it yourself. Audi, not Skoda, Cayenne/Macan, not 911. I don't having different opinions on this, I think the financial results of the Swatch group speak for themselves when it comes to the business acumen of the people running it.

gostang9 likes this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2022

Just wait, the Tiffany blue “Mission to Uranus” will top the Tiffany Nautilus in coming months :D

base615 likes this.
  16. Omega D Mar 24, 2022

Absolutely

17. BradleyJ. Mar 24, 2022

Same haha. Although I frequent the Aria in Vegas and they have a Swatch "Boutique" right off the casio floor and it was actually pretty cool. Not sure if it's still there since I haven't done a Vegas trip in a few years. Apparently there's some virus that's been going around..

18. savka Mar 24, 2022

Lol silly me! I also fail to grasp that the outrage is predominantly about status, prestige, and $$$ instead of the actual watches...

Omega can make as many plastic quartz watches as they want so long as they continue to make great, cutting-edge mechanical watches as well. The day Omega sacrifices the latter by, say, replacing the Speedmaster with an inferior version, is the day I'll grab my pitchfork and join you all in the streets. ;) Just kidding, I'll just grab my wallet, walk away, and maybe make some sound financial decisions for a change!

JwRosenthal and Archer like this.
  19. Omega D Mar 24, 2022

London grey market dealers on utube are going to London omega stores tomorrow to snap them up. This will not end well for Omega once demand supply starts to take effect. If Omega are trying to gain infamy in the same way Rolex are doing perhaps this should of been done with a more conventional Omega watch

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2022

Well, since they aren't in "Omega stores" they are pretty dumb grey market dealers...