Forums Latest Members
  1. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Anyone seen this dial design on a 2517 Cal. 352? Also, how bad does that movements condition look?!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

2. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2012

It's called a plank dial, and it's been refinished.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 9, 2012

To help with my education, is that crystal original ? I know I could go off and do some research, it is just not what I would expect to see.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

That movement number is lower than I've seen for a cal. 352 and the oscillating weight for a cal. 352 should have the adjusted 5 positions... script. And as mentioned, it is a repainted plank dial.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

Looking at the abraded condition of some of the wheels, I suspect the original movement was rusted over, probably starting through the keyless works and up through the crown and ratchet wheels. This movement was first severely cleaned and then substantially replaced with cannibalized parts. Not always the correct ones, as Mike stated. That, combined with the redial, make this watch a no go, even for a cheap price. :thumbsdown:

6. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

I thought as much! That ratchet wheel is very sad looking, and the replaced oscillating weight was what threw me off. The dial could have been refinished in a much better way, but those "wonky" markers are also a pity!

7. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

The crystal doesn't seem to have the hidden logo, and that was confirmed by the seller. It is replaced crystal.

8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

About the crystal -- I don't think the Omega symbol appeared in O.E.M. crystals until at least the later '50s.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

Couple of points about this watch.

1. I have the same watch in steel, but without the plank dial. Both styles were used on this reference.
    2. My watch came without the chronometer spec. rotor and the serial number is only a couple of hundred away from this one. I also have seen other examples without the special rotor. I had always thought that some of the very early chronometers came without the engraved rotors. However, when I had an opportunity to pick up a good condition cal. 352 rotor, I did. I figured it would be easier to sell it later without having to explain this story again.
    3. I agree with Adam that the orginal crystal likely didn't have the symbol in the center. I had the crystal on mine replaced by Omega in NYC and the new crystal did have the symbol. I don't think this is a big deal either way.
    4. I don't think the crown on this watch is correct either, although the originals did have the symbol.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 9, 2012

I agree, only if it were marked unadjusted as many are, would I see a problem.

Looks like a waterproof crown, the original would have been flatter.

11. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Doesn't that minute hand seem a little too short since it doesn't reach the minutes circle wheel on the dial? That's what gave me the impression that it's a redial missing the smaller minutes wheel closer to the center, like on the standard 2517, and the hands were changed to match?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

You are correct. The original dials have a 1/5 sec circular track inside the dial markers. Both the plank and non-plank dials had this feature on the Ref. 2517.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the hands are OK, the dial and crown aren't.
    gatorcpa

13. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Right, gator.... ? Very suspicious. Even then, I still believe the hands were even changed to match the whole arrangements, since if there were a 1/5 sec circular track (thanks for the lingo here, I needed to know what that was called!) it would go beyond it, into the hour markers, not just touching the tips of them. The seconds hand as well. That along with what cicindela mentioned about the movement, its so sad to see a frakenstiened plank dial like that! This is another of my obsessions... those elusive plank dials, especially of chronometer movements!

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

For Ref. 2517, the only fully original plank dials that I've seen is the one above and a gold example in AJTT.

You're probably right about the hands. That gold watch is such a mess that I really hadn't bothered to look any closer.
    gatorcpa

15. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Please excuse the new comer..... "AJTT"? :oops:

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

17. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Ohhh.... yes, I have been meaning to get that, as I was advised by my great watchmaker. In his words: " you should have a source like the AJTT if you are intending to mingle into the world of the high end collectors vintage watches!"

That's awesome, with the forum lingo, though. Thanks :)

18. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2012

Not "you should" - make that "you MUST". :thumbsup: That book save my ass, wallet, and ego a couple times. :p

19. Melhadary Nov 9, 2012

Well received, and totally understood! ;)

20. hegner Dec 19, 2018

What about the word chronometre instead chronometer? Is this ok?