Surprised by how much I dug the Tresor in person

Visited my local OB (if an hour and fifteen minute drive can be considered "local") to see the sights---it's been a long time.

I mainly just wanted to have a look at some of the newer releases in the metal (including the summer blue dials) and to check out a few JLC pieces at a different store.

But what caught my eye---very unexpectedly---was the Tresor. A line I've seen on the Omega site many times, but never really thought much about. I have to say, seeing and handling these, I'm really impressed! I'd tried on a JLC Master Control Date just moments before---granted, a different level of movement-finishing there, but the Omega did not come off poorly in the comparison! A really fine, simple time-only dress watch.

The one that first caught my eye was the white dial small-seconds one.

Tresorwhite.jpg

Unfortunately, it had diamonds on the bezel (and costs 13,600 USD). Diamonds are not my thing. And for some reason that I can't fathom, Omega doesn't make this watch sans diamonds. (There's a date one, sans small seconds, but it's not as sharp, to my eyes.) If they did, I might have had a hard time not buying it.

They do make such a diamond-less model in black.

Tresorblack.jpg

It's really striking! I don't need another black-dial watch (as that's basically all I have right now). There's a blue one too that's gorgeous, but didn't sing to me in the metal.

All of them feature manual movements with superb detailing.

Movement.jpg

Again, even right after handling a JLC, these watches didn't pale.

The pricing seems ambitious: even sans diamond, we're still in the $7k range, which feels like nearly twice the value I'd place (and getting into the price point where a JLC is gettable)---and the preowned market seems to hold at around $5,500 which still seems high. So I don't see myself moving on one of these.

Just... something that hadn't even been on my radar. Excellently proportioned, wearing small (for 40mm), and wonderfully thin, but still somehow exuding the robustness one associates with Omega. It's a totally different feel than an Aqua Terra on a leather strap.

Like 7
I'd not seen that before, it looks nice.

Take away the diamonds and change the markers to a dagger"ish" style (and maybe work the subdial dimensions a touch) and this is a serious winner of a dress watch, maybe even competition for JLC.

I hear you re the subdial dimensions and first thought the same, but then I don’t feel that way with the black dial—I think the diamond bezel might throw things off, optically.

I wouldn’t mind a blued hand on the subdial—which would make it more akin to the 2012 London Olympics Seamaster.

Like 1
I hear you re the subdial dimensions and first thought the same, but then I don’t feel that way with the black dial—I think the diamond bezel might throw things off, optically.

I wouldn’t mind a blued hand on the subdial—which would make it more akin to the 2012 London Olympics Seamaster.

A blued hand on the subdial was my thought also. Would really pop it into that dress category/JLC competitor. Your thread about (I think it was yours) dress watches with subdials made me realize how close to perfect the JLC moon is in terms of colors and proportions.... I think I've begun to measure most dress watch dimensions and looks against it.

Like 1
I don’t think I’ve ever looked at this line. I really like that black dial. It would look even better without the text under the logo though in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Like 1
Absolutely agree. It’s pretty sparing text for Omega, but still more than necessary.

My local AD has one of the power reserve examples in a case all on it's own and every time I stop by I just stand and drool over it.
Omega Tresor.jpg

Which surprised me initially as I hadn't really thought I'd like any of the modern dress watches. And I know the stacked vertically subdials might not be everyone's cup of tea but as a Designer, I love the dial layout!

Like 4
My go to dress watch is a JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon and, as as Annapolis notes, that is a different level of finishing from Omega. That being said, my significant other wears a two tone De Ville Prestige with a mother of pearl dial that was my Christmas gift to her back in 2018 and it's a lovely watch that has run flawlessly.
807790-6f6922bbda008eb1ada1a8e05e75fcd1.jpg

It's easy to get stuck thinking about Omega as only the Speedmaster and the Seamaster, but they make several lines of very nice dress watches, the Tresor included.

Like 3
The Tresor has had me considering selling my JLC MC Date multiple times, but 40mm is just a bit too large for a dress watch IMO. 36-38mm would be perfect and could give them an excuse to make a manual wind version of the 8800.

Like 1
It’s definitely big for a dress watch—but I think the compound curves on the case and the way the lugs sit on the wrist make it wear smaller. That was one of the more surprising things to me: I hear 40mm and I think of a 5-digit Sub or something. But this really wore like a 38mm JLC.

Dammit, I don’t need another watch. What the hell is wrong with all of us? :)

Dammit, I don’t need another watch. What the hell is wrong with all of us? :)
Need has nothing to do with it. It's all about want. :)

My local AD has one of the power reserve examples in a case all on it's own and every time I stop by I just stand and drool over it.
Omega Tresor.jpg

Which surprised me initially as I hadn't really thought I'd like any of the modern dress watches. And I know the stacked vertically subdials might not be everyone's cup of tea but as a Designer, I love the dial layout!

I love the dial layout too! I wasn't even aware of this Omega model and now I'm interested. ::facepalm1::

IMG_3050 Dial.JPG

Like 2