Forums Latest Members

surprise while researching history of a 30T2 chronometer

1. divetime Aug 21, 2018

I recently bought a stainless steel chronometer that war discussed earlier here in this forum due to the fact of its rare dial variation and the sellers signature "Galli" Zürich.

I personally did not see other 30T2 with sellers signature - just may be one with "Türler, Beyer" or similar where I was not sure if this was originally on the dial or possibly added later.

So I started researching the history of the watch by ordering an abstract from the Omega archive. I especially asked them if they have any evidence that this particular watch was delivered to "Galli" Zürich. When I received the abstract it only mentioned that it was delivered in 1946 to Switzerland but not to which distributor... so I was a bit disappointed of the information given.

I contacted the owner family of Galli Zürich and was really happy and astonished that they still have hand written abstracts of the watches they sold in this time. They were very helpful and did send me a copy of their hand written information. (my watch is the first line of the attached page). They informed me that the mentioned company "Gameo SA." mentioned was the general distributor for Omega in this period.

It is interesting to see how expensive a chronometer was compared to a normal watch and how they calculated. I m happy to share these documents attached and to have a very nice evidence of the period correct sellers signature on the dial.
    Galli.jpg

Omega.jpg abstract.jpg

sjg22, GregH, OMTOM and 30 others like this.
  2. Biezmez Aug 21, 2018

That's a great piece of detective work. Very nice to have that kind of history to the watch.
    Very nice watch as well.
    Chris

Mark020 and divetime like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 21, 2018

Very nice watch, and good research. None of the manufacturers, to my knowledge, will note the precise retail store which sold their watches – only the country and distributor.

divetime likes this.
  4. mac_omega Aug 22, 2018

This is indeed a pleasant surprise :thumbsup:

Edited Jul 18, 2023
    divetime likes this.
  5. sat968 Aug 22, 2018

I’ve never seen that dial before. Certainly is a stunner and quite unique. Congratulations Mr. Holmes.

divetime likes this.
  6. shishy www.hpmor.com Aug 22, 2018

Beautiful watch but also the handwriting in their records is so satisfying to look at.

7. divetime Aug 23, 2018

thank you - this was my feeling as well. At some point a lot of original information will be lost. So sometimes it is good to search today before following generations throw away these old documents because they are not interested in them....

8. mac_omega Aug 23, 2018

This dial by itself is common - what is uncommon is the co-branding

9. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Sep 3, 2018

Has anyone tried to get information from Turler like the OP did from Galli; I bought yesterday a very nice Omega Constellation ref 168.004 double signed with turler on the dial. It would be interesting to find more about the history of the watch

And since any post is useless without pictures here it is:
    [​IMG]