Forums Latest Members

Support to Assess Authenticity of Vintage Omega Seamaster

1. New User Apr 19, 2018

Dear Omega Forums Community,
    I am interested in buying a vintage Omega Seamaster Automatic (pictures below) and relying on your guidance and experience I would like to understand if you believe it's authentic or not. Moreover are there any tips I should take into account before buying it (requested price is 1.120$) ?
    I am new on this forum and I am not expert in Omega. This would be eventually my first Seamaster and I would like to avoid buying fake items.
    Thank you very much for supporting my requests.

Pic 1.jpg Pic 2.jpg Pic 3.jpg Pic 4.jpg Pic 5.jpg Pic 6.jpg Pic 7.jpg Pic 8.jpg Pic 9.jpg
  2. chipsotoole Apr 19, 2018

Hallo " New User" (original name!)
    You'll need to do a bit of reading up and also do some market research in terms of pricing. You'll need to decide what you mean and what you personally define as vintage (untouched, patinated, or redialed/renovated to look newer). Take a particularly close look at casebacks, general engraving/stamping, movement dating, and the ref. numbering... google image the casebook ref number and see if you can find pictures and analysis of other similar watches. Whilst I don't believe it to be an out and out fake as such ...there are a number of flags on this one....
    As Rolf Harris used to say " Can you guess what it is yet? "

felsby and Lucasssssss like this.
  3. Davidt Apr 19, 2018

Even if it's kosher it's at least 2-3x overpriced.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. New User Apr 19, 2018

Good afternoon Davidt,
    Thank you for taking the time to review my post and to advise on the price. What would be, according to your knowledge and experience, a fair price for this Omega?

5. New User Apr 19, 2018

Good afternoon Chipsotoole,
    Thank you for your suggestions. I did some market research but, referring to your recommendations, maybe I should go back to my profile and change the nickname into "Ignorant User"...
    I am glad to read that you believe it's an authentic OMEGA but what about the price? You think is a fair one? I saw similar Seamaster priced 650-700euros but in worst conditions and sellers are not willing to accept returns. In my case I am going to get the Omega from a jewelry.

6. Anj Apr 19, 2018

For price reference, I have a 751 constellation(day/date) that I got for 700ish usd, granted I thought it was an amazing price.

$1,120 is a bit high for this example in my opinion, but it's whatever floats your goat I always say. Plus, it looks quite sketch to me.

I'd keep an eye out on ebay for similar examples, to see what floats by for a couple weeks/months.

Edited Apr 19, 2018
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 19, 2018

Huh?

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 10.35.46 PM.png

I didn't go much past this.

Too many questions.

NOTSHARP and dennisthemenace like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 19, 2018

I'm more tolerant of refinishes/redials than most on here, but when I see lume plots on the dial and unlumed hands, as Mr Spock would say
    Illogical.jpg

NOTSHARP likes this.
  9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 19, 2018

I didn't go much past the hand engraved caseback.

chipsotoole likes this.
  10. bubba48 Apr 19, 2018

There is lume on the hands ;)

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 19, 2018

I'll concede at some point there might have been lume on the hands. Not a lot there now, and they certainly haven't been given the same careful, loving attention as the dial lume plots. Even if that love has not been entirely unstinting.....:D

12. New User Apr 19, 2018

Thank you Anj for your advice and suggestions.

13. New User Apr 19, 2018

Sorry JimInOz but can you please clarify me what's wrong in the picture you are referring to? Is there any issue I should be able to spot?

14. New User Apr 19, 2018

Thank you dennisthemenace,
    I guess you are referring to the picture below. I am also let's say "not happy" about it. What would be your recommendation? Thank you for your guidance

upload_2018-4-19_21-24-33.png

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 19, 2018

It's a clasp for a gold plated bracelet on what is clearly a stainless steel bracelet.

16. New User Apr 19, 2018

Thank you for your reply.
    I will carefully check the level of loving attention given to the hands before taking any decision :)

17. New User Apr 19, 2018

Thank you for your prompt reply and sorry if my questions may look like obvious/stupid to you.
    Unfortunately it seems that the watch is not original in all its part

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 20, 2018

Run a mile. It is a junky, partly fake, partly messed about POS being offers at about 5x it’s value. You would be mad to buy it.

chipsotoole likes this.
  19. New User Apr 22, 2018

Thank you for your valuable advice. I appreciate.