Forums Latest Members

Superior Accuracy And The Pusher

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 27, 2013

Superior accuracy
    A Swedish watch-buddy who lives in Japan - let us call him B – or as I think of him – “The Pusher” provided me with a Grand Seiko Special a while ago (see http://omegaforums.net/threads/a-special-seiko.4388/ ).

As pushers tend to do - he has worked on me to get me hooked. First by publishing some really great articles on Swedish watch forums. Creating a demand that I did not know I had. Then helping me to the Special GS (he had the “right” contacts…). And then when I was ripe and ready he dropped this one on me. Saying “this was Seiko: s best and most expensive watch (in steel) in 1977. Top of the line. With an accuracy - within 10 seconds A YEAR. It cost 200 000 yen which was really serious money.”

He showed me some photos of it and I was hooked. Carefully chosen aged quartz crystals, hand built and calibrated to the extreme - it works within 10 seconds a year. A really nice, worked and structured dial in a high quality case with nice beveling. Notice how the indexes and the hands are matched in shape and form. The bracelet is not original to the watch but it is an original Seiko and it fits perfectly.

200 000 yen is about 2000 USD – today – what it was back in 1977, I do not know but it was very, very expensive. The high end quartz watches of that era cannot and should not be compared with what came afterwards. This watch is comparable with the Omega Marine Chronometer (which actually was less accurate). They both are from an era when quartz was top of the line - when superior accuracy was the selling point.

A watch I did not even know existed up till some weeks ago and now I have it on my wrist. It is as rare as hens teeth and I am happy as a…

I am starting to be a sucker for high end Seiko: s and I have got a pusher. Some time ago he was talking VFA with me… What am I to do…

Seiko Superior ref. 4883-8100 from 1977
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus May 27, 2013

Sounds like "enabler" and "facilitator" combined. :p

I like this guy. Tell him he has a job selling high end mattresses in Joizey if he wants it. :D

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2013

I heard that if you buy a mattress in Joisey it comes with a free watch band. :p

4. ulackfocus May 27, 2013

No, but with the $600 you could save you can buy a LOT of straps. ;)

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2013

OK , sounds like a great deal, sign me up :thumbsup:

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 27, 2013

I remember at that time my father traded his gold Rolex with gold Seiko LCD.

7. ulackfocus May 27, 2013

Done. :p

8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 28, 2013

That is one of my favorite things with this site - you can always expect the staff to keep us off topic...:) ;)

cicindela and SpikiSpikester like this.