Forums Latest Members

SOLD Superb Vintage OMEGA Bumper – 1940s

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 24, 2019

Collectors who appreciate early Omega bumper automatics should take a close look at this offering. I have owned more than a few, including chronometres, and this may be the most attractive of any of them.

It is a ref. 2421, powered by a cal. 28.10 RA SC PC movement which dates to around 1947. This was Omega's first automatic movement, and R.A stands for "Remontoir Automatique" (i.e. self-winding), SC for "Seconde au Centre" (i.e. sweep center seconds), and PC for "Pare Chocs" shock absorber.

I would say that the watch is conservatively in very good to excellent condition overall. The radium dial and hand-set are among the most attractive that I have seen. The dial shows the type of fine, evenly distributed "freckle" patina that in my view does not degrade the beauty of the watch at all. The variance of the colors of the hand and dial lume is common, and I have no doubt that both are original radium. They look as they should under black lighting, decay exactly the same, and test positive with a geiger counter.

The 35mm snap-back, stainless steel case is unpolished, and shows its original finish. What appears to be a wide scratch on the back is actually an extremely light "scrape", and I even hesitate to call it that. It is so shallow as to be imperceptible to the touch, and could very easily be polished out if desired.

The movement is in very good condition, with the only downgrade being due to a couple of small scratches. It is working properly, but hasn't been timed, and a service would be recommended for regular wear.

A few examples of this reference are currently being offered by dealers for $1700 to over $2000, and almost all are in inferior condition to mine, including some redials. I am offering this one at $1300 including EMS (Express) shipping from my home in Portugal.

I can accept USD or equivalent EUR payments, and would prefer a bank transfer, though will consider Paypal.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jul 24, 2019
    tmw57, McKinley, Rman and 18 others like this.
  2. BenBagbag Jul 24, 2019

Wouldn't a watch of this age have an unsigned crown? Not positive but figured I'd ask.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 24, 2019

Consider that while the movement dates to '46/47, the watch may not have been assembled and shipped for another year (or two or three). So yes, there could have been an original signed crown. But it could also be a later replacement.

It came with the watch, is the correct style (i.e. shape), and is in condition consistent with the rest of the parts. But I certainly cannot vouch for originality.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 24, 2019

Beautiful. I wish I had the funds.
    ::facepalm2::

tmw57, aap and Tony C. like this.
  5. rkman11 Jul 24, 2019

Incredible piece! And you know I loves me that patina! GLWS!

Tony C. likes this.
  6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 24, 2019

My very similar 1946 omega bumper (albeit with a sub second) had the exact same crown.

0B986BDB-7526-4D1E-AAFD-44767D552744.jpeg B5850AB9-9333-49E3-810F-6AC48F8DA873.jpeg

lando, DRjre086, Syrte and 6 others like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 24, 2019

Sold! Thanks to the new owner, and the support of the OF and kind members.

CaptainWinsor, aap, DRjre086 and 2 others like this.