Forums Latest Members

FS Superb Vintage LEMANIA (time only)

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 27, 2019

While Lemania is well known, and highly regarded amongst vintage collectors, its reputation is largely based on its excellent chronographs and related calibers that were used by many other manufacturers. Less well known are its non-chronograph time only (and time/date) watches. Not surprisingly, such watches are also of high quality, and savvy collectors have been appreciating them all along.

I bought this watch in Switzerland, and it was owned previously by an older, retired watchmaker. He had two Lemania, including this one, and claimed that they were both previously owned by a Lemania executive.

This is a ref. 9109, and, from what I can tell from some research, appears to be a very uncommon variation of a reference that is itself uncommon. I have only been able to find one identical model online. I expect that it dates to around the late 1950s. The watch is in excellent condition throughout, with no major flaws.

The silver dial is attractive and features a guilloche outer track, on which the applied indexes sit. It is very elegant, and catches the eye in different lighting on the wrist. The dial is in excellent condition, and the original Tritium plots are all intact, and well preserved. The hands are also in excellent condition, and do not show the type of corrosion that is often found on steel watches of this period.

The 35mm steel case is very well preserved, with only a few light signs of wear (e.g. some very fine and light scratches on the case back). It is a high-quality, screw-back case, and the back is the pleasing, rounded (bubble-back) style.

The crown is semi-recessed, and to my mind very well executed. I say that because recessed crowns can often be difficult to manipulate, but this one is "the best of both worlds", in that it is recessed enough to protect it, yet easy to use when winding and setting.

The movement is a 21 jewel automatic cal. 4650 (also used by Tissot as the base of their 23.3R-21). It is working well, but I do not know the last date of service. The top of the rotor is a bit discolored, but there is no evidence that this is other than a cosmetic issue.

In my view, these LEMANIA time-only models represent great value in a market that has arguably inflated too much in recent years. I am asking a fair price for this sweet watch, $575 (or Euro equivalent), and will ship using registered post from my home in Lisbon for free. EMS (express) please add $35.

I can accept either Paypal or a bank transfer.

PLEASE NOTE: The dial was difficult to capture well in the photos, and I guarantee that it will appear more attractive in person!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DRjre086 Apr 28, 2019