Forums Latest Members

Super strong auction result for a NOS 1982 145.022 (eBay)

1. ndgal Sep 4, 2018

2. mancio Sep 4, 2018

Impressive

3. JanV Sep 4, 2018

Now thats something...

4. Delbok Sep 4, 2018

Full set + NOS + bracelet that makes a lot of +++ :D

5. BenBagbag Sep 4, 2018

All you need are two bidders. Wouldn't be surprised if this is heading back to Switzerland. ;)

6. Atalien2005 Sep 4, 2018

Beautiful piece and I don’t think the price was to bad. If the buyer keeps it in this condition, it will be a good long term investment.

7. Etp095 Sep 4, 2018

The seller has some nice stuff!

murph, Atalien2005 and BenBagbag like this.
  8. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 5, 2018

Is it really surprising? To be honest I even thought it would end around 12k. It’s about rarity at this stage and exceptional things command exceptional value.

How difficult is it to get something similar if you want/need one? It reflects on the value and the usual price point is by far exceeded.

Also true is that people who really value this kind of set up to ‘exceptional’ are a real minority. Looks like at least two of them have met at this auction :)

9. guaranteed.rohu Sep 5, 2018

yeah seems expensive! but it's hard to put a price on the 'full set NOS' pieces. it's hard to compare this to a used, run of the mil, no box no papers piece.

It's like any collectible, like old baseball cards are worth $X each, but can be worth exponentially more if you have the entire set!

10. dan7800 Sep 5, 2018

Would be interesting to see if the buyer actually pays that amount.

Vercingetorix likes this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 5, 2018

I would agree this seller is above average in terms of his selection and presentation.

I have to agree with @kov - to find a watch in this condition is exceptionally rare and it cannot be valued as “a little bit more” than a good one.

It has to be valued as a stand alone item more dependent on actual appeal as a lot and how very rare it is to see in this condition and with its accessories.

The last 10% (to reach the full 100%) in quality is often worth a 100% price increase over the 90% example.

Don’t believe me? That’s fine - but I guarantee you will not buy an example of this quality (at a publicly viewed auction) unless you go in ready to pay up to about double what a good to fine example goes for.

The gamble here is that the slightest flaw takes it out of this exceptional category. In addition it has to look appealing when you hold it. Assuming those two tests are passed then this watch was cheap, for those who want it. For those who don’t, you can buy two or even three watches for the same money of lesser quality and wonder at the craziness.

12. kelev_ra Sep 5, 2018

Wow...
    And I just sold mine with box for 2,8... :D

13. Tubber Sep 5, 2018

Just shy of US$11K was probably a very reasonable price. But what can you do with it other than put it in a safe? If you wear it you'll lose a big chunk of it's value. It looks rather sterile to me but that may just be bad lighting.
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

What's that in the centre of the caseback in the last photo, genuine NOS Omega birdshit?

wsfarrell, chronoboy64, lando and 5 others like this.
  14. Mossback Sep 5, 2018

Bought from Presidio Calf. base PX on sale for $370.00? Wow.

15. Davidt Sep 5, 2018

I was watching this and didn't expect it to go so high.

I fully agree they're a league apart from even a fine example but for an 80's Speedmaster this is still a very strong result. I'm almost certain 2 NOS Speedmasters from the 80's we're offered here in the last year (perhaps longer) for less than half of this price.

Still, truly stunning watch. It'd be lost in me though - I'd have it on my wrist within 5 minutes.

16. djmusicman Sep 5, 2018

Wow maybe I should put my nos full set speedy from 1990 on eBay, i thought mine would be worth half that.

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. ndgal Sep 5, 2018

It is a wax seal. Applied when watches of that era (and earlier) left the factory. Basically guaranteeing that the watch has not been opened and messed with.
    A similar wax seal (sometimes blue) was also applied years ago after the watch has been factory serviced.

boogedyboo likes this.
  18. boogedyboo Sep 5, 2018

It is unfortunate that you are right. It will probably be kept in a safe and taken out on special occasions to be admired.

On the other hand, the value will increase over time as with any vintage Speedmaster.

19. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 5, 2018

Overpaid, in my opinion. Maybe if it was from half a dozen years earlier.

Probably, the market will catch up. But, at the end of the day, you’ve got a Speedmaster from the early 80’s that you can’t even wear.

For $10,877, I can think of a lot of other pristine watches that I’d rather buy and not wear that I’d prefer to visit in the bank vault a couple of times a year.

padders and Davidt like this.
  20. Tubber Sep 5, 2018

It is indeed the lowest form of wit.