Forums Latest Members
  1. Paulotis2 Aug 2, 2016

I was looking at some omegas some with the green superluminova and orange superluminova which one is brighter orange or green?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2016

[​IMG]

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  3. chich Aug 2, 2016

Interesting chart. Personally, I never understood the importance of lume. There's very few situations where it's pitch black and you need to know the time - unless you have a habit of waking up multiple times at night. And needing to know the time. And not having an alarm clock/phone next to your bed.

GregH likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2016

Well, as someone who suffers from arthritis and has done so for far more than 1/2 my life, I do wake up many times during the night. I do want to know what time it is - if it's close to when I would normally get up, I would rather get up than go back to sleep and then be woken 20 minutes later, as that always makes me feel much more tired for the day.

Even if I did have an alarm clock next to my bed, I would not be able to read it without putting on my glasses, so a nice glowing wrist watch is the only practical solution.

[​IMG]

Quick charge under a lamp for a few seconds before bed and I can read this all night long...

So although you may not consider it important, some do. Do I need it on a dress watch? No. Do I have watches where the tritium lume is dead? Yes. Do I need it on every watch? No. But having one that I can wear to bed to know the time when I wake up for the 4th or 5th time in the night is something I personally do need.

Cheers, Al

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 2, 2016

Personally, I never understood the importance of lume. There's very few situations where it's pitch black and you need to know the time - unless you have a habit of waking up multiple times at night. And needing to know the time. And not having an alarm clock/phone next to your bed.[/QUOTE]

That can be said of a date complication, chronograph, etc.

6. chich Aug 2, 2016

Fair enough - and that was kind of the only situation where I envisaged there may be a need. Out of curiosity, wouldn't an Indiglo watch provide a better solution to your needs rather than just normal Lume?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2016

I can't see how. If you read my post I've stated clearly that I can read this watch all night long, so why would a watch where I have to push a button be better?

8. chich Aug 2, 2016

I presume you're handling the watch to bring it into line of sight, so pushing the crown would be of no added hassle with the added advantage of improved brightness far outweighing normal lume (and no charging required). Greater contrast = better visibility and less effort to read.

At the end of the day, whatever works for you... if that's lume then great. :)

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 2, 2016

Keep trying...but all I do is bring my left arm in range of my eyesight...

I don't need "improved brightness" I just need to be able to read it, which I can easily (the part you seem to be missing) all through the night.

rcs914 likes this.
  10. chich Aug 2, 2016

[emoji1303]

11. Paulotis2 Aug 2, 2016

A!a+
    Well I find myself in the dark quite often. I'm not one of those guys that keep their cell phone next to them 24/7 when hunting, fishing, camping its hard to find an alarm clock . So lume is important to me.