Forums Latest Members
  1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 5, 2013

guys can you please help me with some suggestions on what models are worth collecting in speed masters and flight masters ?
    looking for models rare enough to give bragging rights :cool:
    but not rare enough to trade them for a 5 series though :p

If you can could post a pic that would be greatly appreciate

thanks in advance for the help

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 5, 2013

Any speedmaster with a cal. 321 movement - the earlier the more collectible and the more expensive.
    The 18k solid gold flightmaster - especially with the solid gold original omega bracelet (only 20 made).

3. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 5, 2013

Thanks for that suggestion ... I read that 20 piece thing looks like they are out of reach.

anyother suggestion guys

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2013

Mike, Flightmaster 911 gold is produced in 200 pieces, among the first ones presented to King Hussein of Jordan (AJTT page 516)

That doesn't prevent people from offering in crazy prices (the one in chrono24 right now is offered at 100K Euro). At that price I would have opt for a complete Speedmaster missions in special briefcase.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2013

Sumerian,
    You should read Chronomaddox Flightmaster article here: http://chronomaddox.com/flightmasterarticle.html

You will know the difference between Cal 910, 1st Gen 911 and 2nd Gen 911. Cal 910 is rarer with only 7500 produced while 911 is more common with 30,000 produced since 1970 to 1978.

If you can find an almost NOS condition like the bottom pictures in chronomaddox article, I guarantee you will have bragging right here.
    Some people make fuss about the pre production type: no dots in 12 markers and single color chrono pusher, however currently it only add little to collection value. There is also red (common) and yellow (concorde pilot spec) hands, which yellow generate a little bit higher value, but not much since you can order replacement to Bienne.

Since flightmaster is one among Iconic Omega watch, many of them is still running well and people pay price to service them. You will not have problem finding offers in ebay, chrono24 or other venue

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2013

Speedmaster is different animal, because so many variants have been produced.

As Mike said the 321 is the best bet for the crowd, however it is a field full of land mines, even compare to Connie. A little difference really make swing in its value, and finding correct one need thorough learning (I hope I am wrong). So many unholy examples out there.

So why don't you try different route from the crowd? I know you like gold so why not trying all gold Speedmaster? Even better a skeleton version !!!!

sumerian likes this.
  7. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 5, 2013

I think my brand new Carrerra is going on sale this week end... i need free up some cash for some gold examples.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 5, 2013

Only 20 pieces made with the original gold bracelet. The other 180 were gold head only without the gold bracelet.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

OK. So the one offered in Chrono24 is really 1 among 20. Gosh.......

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2013

20 would be optimistic at this point, I guarantee some apes have melted at least a couple of them for gold content. These things are bricks of gold so the melt value is among the highest in the watch world.

You will develop very strong biceps with one of these in 18K

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

I think I will have stronger biceps by strapping the cash I needed to pay this watch in my arm.:p