Forums Latest Members
  1. dexvd Apr 17, 2018

Looking to get a tool to use for opening my 50s Omega Constellation ref 2853, it is a YG case so I want to get something that won't damage the case.
    Any suggestions for what might work best for the case design of the Constellation?

Was looking at the different designs available here http://www.ofrei.com/page555.html

I normally wouldn't mess with a watch I cared so much about but my local watchmaker couldn't open it and I don't want to ship out of country for movement service. The only Omega vintage watchmaker I am familiar with in Canada is unavailable (too busy). So thinking at this point if I can get the caseback off myself I can use the local shop and I would like to invest in some watch repair tools over the next few years and hopefully at some point have a set up to service movements myself.

2. Vitezi Apr 17, 2018

Perhaps you need a different watchmaker? Where are you located? There are several Canadian members on this forum who may be able to help.

3. dexvd Apr 17, 2018

Halifax, the watchmaker I had been previously recommended to but was too busy referred me to the awci list, which included my local watchmaker who told me they would have to take the crystal out and pull the movement through the front of the watch as the caseback doesn't come off.

4. Vitezi Apr 17, 2018

I have heard of Hub City Time in Moncton NB; they might be able to help.
    1-506-384-4000
    https://hubcitytime.com/

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2018

Wow, thst's really scary since the case back on a 2853 certainly does come off and the movement does come out from the back.

6. tritto Apr 18, 2018

8E5B4D4C-C379-4DEF-8E0A-D3B593C5D5FD.jpeg I usually use a thin scraper blade to open snap on casebacks. Even with a really tight gap you gently work it back and forwards around the gap until it lifts. Much less chance of gouging the caseback than a knife and I've had success where a knife just wouldn't work

7. keepitsimple Apr 18, 2018

I've got the one they list on that page as FB-07.114. I can't now remember where I got it from, but it was a lot less than they are asking.

In effect, it is a very slim blade that is gradually pressed into the case gap very accurately as you screw in the knob. It then allows some gentle leverage to pop off the back. Like the razor blade technique but a bit safer for the user !

It works extremely well, provided that the opening gap is close to 9 on the dial. Many watches are, but this would be tricky to use on a watch where it is close to a lug. I have an IWC dress watch from the 60's that is like that, but it also has a pronounced lip which makes it easy with a conventional case knife.

Watches that are hard to open can be hard to close as well, so you probably need a closing press to go with it.

8. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2018

That is frightening. Avoid this man at all costs!

adi4, bigdubnick and davten like this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 18, 2018

Scalpel/craft blades are better than safety blades as they are thinner and a bit easier to handle.

Once you have a gap, work your way around the case and use a caseback knife in the larger gap created. Try to resist the urge to lever the case off as you may scratch or gouge the inside (and may also get your blade hitting the movement.)

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  10. Jerseyhammer Apr 18, 2018

A case opener is def what is needed. The Swiss pocket is always useful . As long as you have an eye glass and can find the lever point just take it slow. It’s always the rush and brute force that does the damage

11. Jerseyhammer Apr 18, 2018

That is scary !

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 18, 2018

That's why I suggested getting feedback from others who have used the watchmaker before letting them work on the watch. The AWCI list is just a starting point. Unfortunately in my experience the East coast is lacking in watchmakers, which is one reason I get so many requests from out there...I just can't service everything I'm asked to...

UncleBuck likes this.
  13. dexvd Apr 18, 2018

One of the users pointed out in a previous thread that my caseback was put on twisted 90 degrees last time it was serviced so the case gap isn't at 9 but around 12 or 6... I honestly can't see it but am hoping I can feel it with the right tool. If I can get the case back off myself I think I would be okay with the local watchmaker servicing the movement but I don't want them to attempt to pull the crystal and movement through the front.

14. dexvd Apr 18, 2018

Okay, so I shouldn't use a case back opening lever then? I was concerned that style may damage the case with the down pressure while attempting to lever it open.

15. dexvd Apr 18, 2018

It does seem that there aren't many options in this area. I definitely wouldn't want to ship this watch out unless it was to somebody that was highly recommended for vintage Omega service (and I wouldn't want to ship to another country) but I think if I can figure out opening the caseback myself the local watchmaker should be find to handle servicing the movement. As the caseback is rotated 90 degrees and the notch is by the lugs, it just isn't visible which likely made them think that they had to pull things through the front, however when I suggested that I'm pretty sure the caseback is removable the response was "Have you taken the caseback off before?". So I decided to take it back and re-evaluate my options.

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 18, 2018

I wouldn't let them near the watch again. Even suggesting to remove the movement from the front would send me away screaming idiot, idiot. Simply put, the movement on this reference cannot be removed from the front of the case, period.

keepitsimple and Peemacgee like this.
  17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 18, 2018

@dexvd if you value the watch I wouldn’t try this yourself if I were you.
    Taking a snap back off a gold case watch is tricky enough without damaging it.
    When the aperture is in the wrong place you are just asking for trouble.
    I would have hoped one of our Canadian brethren could recommend a trusted watchmaker for you but even if you have to wait until @Archer is free (however long that is) it would be worth the wait.

18. JohnLy Apr 18, 2018

I use an exacto knife and put tape on the blade edge or sometimes a thin piece of plastic. This prevents scrathes.

19. Canuck Apr 18, 2018

Would you trust the mechanic who couldn’t open the hood of your car, to rebuild the engine? In this day and age, battery changers are often considered by those who don’t know any better, to be watchmakers. A person whose capabilities are limited to changing batteries, should not be allowed near your Omega. Best not to be in a hurry, or your watch could end up being destroyed!

GuiltyBoomerang and UncleBuck like this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 18, 2018

Sleep is highly over-rated!