Forums Latest Members

Suggestions for a watch for a young Naval Officer

1. Professor Apr 14, 2018

Hi
    I'd like a few suggestions for a nice watch for my Grand Nephew. He recently became team leader for a underwater demolition unit.
    A old hip injury prevented him from becoming a SEAL so he got into straight up UDT as an alternative.

I figure he already has a very high quality divers watch, whether military issue or not. I'm figuring a decent medium quality dress watch with the military type hacking feature would be a good alternative for off duty hours and office work.

The various styles of Orient Bambino have shown up on sale now and then. He is a very muscular young man with huge wrists so I figure he could wear just about any size watch over 40 mm.

Any suggestions on a decent dress watch that is comparable to the Bambino in quality and pricing?

2. 77deluxe Apr 14, 2018

Seiko SKX

AveConscientia likes this.
  3. redpcar Apr 14, 2018

I have a relative who is UDT. They get Casio G-shocks.
    What is your budget?

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 14, 2018

Planet Ocean, but the older one with cal 2500

soldier-22015000.png

5. redpcar Apr 14, 2018

I see Bambinos going for $100 to $400?

6. Kmart Apr 14, 2018

The Bambino is about it for dress watches in that price range I think. Plenty of nice ones to choose from in the ~41mm range.

Keep in mind he might not have a quality dive watch though. US Navy divers don't get issued Rolex Submariners any more unfortunately. ;)

Foo2rama and Uniqez like this.
  7. Uniqez Apr 15, 2018

Get him this.Orient Ray 2. You can get them as low as $130 brand new.

15237692311921823584590398656040.jpg
    mikechi22 likes this.
  8. AveConscientia Apr 15, 2018

Skx013 easily beats anything in the price range. Orients are fine, but they ain't a SKX. They are legends for a reason. The watch can dressed up pretty well.The design is one of the best Seiko has put out in this price range ever. Timeless.
    IMG_7195.JPG

Syrte, Alphasports and Docthomas like this.
  9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 15, 2018

May be slightly pricier, but the Hamilton Khaki line is pretty well regarded and has a military vibe. Don't rule out the quartz variations either. For example this is the auto ref H70555533

h70555533_1.png

10. michael22 Apr 15, 2018

A lot of Seiko's don't hack.
    Never had an Orient, but I wouldn't assume they all hack.
    I think a dress watch rather than a diver is a good idea, but have no suggestion, sorry.

IDXM likes this.
  11. alam Apr 15, 2018

perhaps you need to find out what watches he already owns..

...and also how does he feel about dress watches?

I like the above suggestion as something in between sporty and dressy... :thumbsup:

adi4 and gostang9 like this.
  12. Docthomas Apr 15, 2018

I’m with this guy :)

Syrte likes this.
  13. TOTIZ Apr 15, 2018

I’m not sure what your budget is, but the Longines Conquest hacks and wears nicely both with suits/dress uniform and casual. It also has a GMT function, which could come in handy if he gets assigned overseas.

F14BDB72-2665-42E5-89A7-C61252A8A25D.jpeg

14. CHenry Apr 15, 2018

A GMT function is a good idea for the deployable, which he certainly will be. That Longines looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Starman71 likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 15, 2018

Dress watch or divers?

For a dress watch in that range the Bambino is the clear choice. Make sure it’s the smaller one. They make one over 42mm and even on big guys it’s too big. The new center seconds is great. FYI if you are ordering from the US Orient website you can search for 20% or higher discount codes pretty easily. Hacking on a dress watch is not needed although I’m pretty sure the current bambinos jack and hand wind. The older ones made 2 plus years ago do not.

For a Diver in that range the SKX cannot be beat. There are pricier options that are more dressy and or Funky. Longines Legend Diver, Oris Diver etc.

16. frederico Apr 16, 2018

If it’s for a young Naval officer how can no one have suggested a Seamaster yet?

edit: ah sorry, @oddboy already did

Starman71 likes this.
  17. Professor Apr 17, 2018

All great suggestions.
    I'll try to find out what watches he now owns then go from there. With kids on the way like an assembly line I doubt he has had much cash to spare for luxury items.
    I have considered the Seiko Alpinist, which could sometimes be found at a discount till recently, prices seem a bit higher last time I looked. I'm still leaning towards the Orient Bambino. It has a great rep for value for the price and is often found at a discount.

If one or more family members wants to chip in I could stretch the budget for something a bit more expensive.

The Longines is a beauty but I know he has always been rough on watches even as a youngster. I once had to polish deep scars from the crystal of a nice watch his dad gave him so his mom wouldn't find out he had worn it while skateboarding against her orders. He was about ten at the time.
    Best to stick to watches that would not be a major hit to the wallet if damaged. Something sturdy enough for occasional risk and no tears if damaged, but mainly to be worn on special occasions.

I figure the hacking feature would come in handy even if not an on duty watch.

Edited Apr 17, 2018
  18. Waltesefalcon Apr 17, 2018

I think an old school canteen would be appropriate.

images.jpeg
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2018

Side note...

I was watching an interview with Jimmy Carter the other night and noticed he wears his watch with the watch head on the inside of his wrist. I commented huh I didn’t know Carter was in the Navy and I bet he was on a Sub or at least a ship. My friends who were over looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I dimly remembered he was, but wearing a watch that way pretty much means you were Navy and on at least a ship.

They googled it to prove me wrong then asked how I knew. I said the way he wears a watch, more incredulous stares then I showed them and explained why.

I guess old habits die hard, I was surprised he still rocked the habit 40 plus years after being on a Sub.

gostang9, kkt and Syrte like this.
  20. Professor Apr 17, 2018

I've seen repros of the BUSHIP "Bureau of Shipping" Naval issue with canteen cap advertised recently. Might be worth looking into.