Forums Latest Members
  1. steprm Dec 9, 2018

Hello everybody
    My wife rescued from her grandfather's home an old Seamaster that was about to be trashed. It is a 166.0203, and as you can see, it is in pretty bad conditions, it's without crown and date disk, the dial has to be replaced, the caliber needs to be restored, the case to be polished, as well as it hasn't got its bracelet.
    I gave the watch to my watchmaker for a full restoration, in spite I'm aware that I'll spend more money than the actual watch's value, but you know, this kind of decisions come out from hearth, not from brain... :)
    I come to the point: the original bracelet suggested by the watchmaker (that is authorized Omega service) it a 1193/616, but I don't like it quite, so I'm wondering, if a 1287/250 bracelet can be put on 166.0203's case.
    Thank you everybody.
    Regards
    Stefano

IMG_20181113_171333.jpg IMG_20181113_133445.jpg
  2. Edward53 Dec 9, 2018

FFS get in touch with your watchmaker quickly and tell him NOT to replace the dial and NOT to polish the case!! ::facepalm1::

steprm, Mark020 and Magnix like this.
  3. steprm Dec 9, 2018

thank you for the advice

4. Edward53 Dec 9, 2018

I don't know if that is a sincere "thank you", though I suspect it is not. I am just telling you what makes a watch interesting to a collector, i.e. maximum originality. Remember that this is a collectors' forum and the advice you will get comes from collectors.

It is hard to tell whether the scratches are more on the dial or on the crystal, though I can see what looks like an area of damage around the 2 marker. If I owned that watch I would have it serviced, including getting the date wheel and surround fixed, polish the scratches out of the crystal if possible, add a crown and wear it as it is. I understand that maybe you don't like the look of the dial or the case. Having the dial repainted and the case polished would normally be considered a mistake and would certainly reduce its value, but it is your watch and your decision.

steprm likes this.
  5. Magnix Dec 9, 2018

The Dial is Nice ! If I was you i only give the movement a full service and let the Crystal polish.

If the bracelet 18mm ? If so; I have a NOS 1173 bracelet

steprm likes this.
  6. steprm Dec 9, 2018

Yes, I was sincere while thanking you, and I apologise if I seemed to be not. I know that every watch collector prefers an old original scratched case than a polished one, but I am about fixing that watch not for a collection purpose or to sell it but just to wear it, almost daily. Maybe it is a blasphemy but I prefer a watch tnat looks like new, even if it is 40 years old. I really appreciate your answers, it's interesting to me reading collectors' points of view.
    I hope to get answers about the bracelet too.
    Thank you again, and excuse me for my bad english

Edward53 likes this.
  7. steprm Dec 9, 2018

Don't know about bracelet, my question was just about that... thank you anyway

8. bama2141 Dec 9, 2018

Perhaps you could consider a nice leather strap instead of the bracelet. I think that watch would look great on a black alligator strap.

steprm and Dr_P like this.
  9. steprm Dec 10, 2018

yes, it could be an option

10. steprm Dec 20, 2018

Nobody knows if a 1287 bracelet can be put in a 166.0203's case?