Forums Latest Members

Sub valuation guidance needed

1. calalum Sep 25, 2018

All-I have a 5508 Submariner (below left) which is in good condition, albeit with a not so great dial (particularly at the chapter ring in the upper right portion). Also, the hands are fine but not great either. I have other watches and rarely wear this one, so I am considering offering it up in a potential trade. However, I don't have a good feel for the value, particularly with this dial. Anyone want to give me some reasoned guidance for a sale or trade value? Thanks.

Nick
    Submariner pair3.JPG

bazamu likes this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 25, 2018

I think the best advice you're going to get is to pour through completed transactions (eBay for example) and then adjust to your specific watch.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2018

^^ and Check VRF sales forum too, or a post there.

4. calalum Sep 25, 2018

Tried looking at sales and asking price and that is why I am asking for guidance. Too much all over the place.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 25, 2018

Nick, - you probably just set off alarms all over the intratubes.

I'm pretty useless here but you know who might not be is @Dre

I'm sorta/kinda/pretty sure he was looking for a gmt + a sub no date. He bought one or two them so he has a good feel for the market.

I haven't bought a Rolex in 5 years because the process gives me a tummy ache.

And, I've never sold a Rolex. Ever. (thank goodness)

Anyway - I'll take a wild guess here and say 18k to 25k. but, that's a wild, useless guess.

Dealers are going to tell you it's worth 10 and fanbois will say 35/40

GLWS - it's a viper pit out there

6. calalum Sep 25, 2018

Thanks Rich. No fireworks but not really expecting that (unless someone has a good dial to match up with the watch and sees a chance for a quick hit). The trade would be with a dealer and your comment there is well taken.

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2018

Well, so many nuances on that reference, and condition varies widely. Your best bet is to find a friendly expert. A post over on VRF discussion forum would still be worth a try.

8. sjg22 Sep 25, 2018

This watch may be a good candidate for auction - either Sotheby’s and the like, or potentially eBay.

I find that items with a bit of hair on them sell quicker and for more at auction than on the forums because the forums are frequented by primarily educated and picky collectors who aren’t always willing to buy stuff on the borderline. An auction exposes it to a much wider and, perhaps less picky/knowledgeable audience.

When value is so at issue, perhaps better to sell and do a cash deal.

citizenrich likes this.