Forums Latest Members
  1. HoraceM May 30, 2017

Hi all. First post from a newby here. I'm in the process of gathering information about which Speedmaster to buy.
    I am leaning towards a newer model rather than vintage, but still not definite. I prefer the look of the sub-dials with the chamfered outer edges as opposed to the subs that seem top be stepped down from the main face to the subs. Can anyone either tell me or direct me to where I can find which model has these angled inner sub-dials please. OR were these fitted to a range of models.
    I'm supposing that the models I'll be looking at will be between the 3570.50, the 145.022 or the 311.30.42.30.01.005
    I seem to have looked at numerous photographs of the faces on these models, but it seems that some seem to have them and some do not, and from what I've read on this excellent site (and others) about how components are swapped around to make things not what they seem, has made me come to actually ask some experts.
    If I could narrow it down to which models have these chamfered or angles sub-dial faces then at least I could concentrate my search onto and actual model number and then get buying....
    May Thanks
    Horace Marks (UK midlands)

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2017

Hi Horace,

Speedmasters are one of the most discussed topics on this forum and there are many fans and a few experts.

I'd suggest commencing your education here, and if you're able, pick up a copy of the book Moonwatch Only.

Cheers

Jim

PS: Did you know your name probably steered you in the direction of watches?

:D

Origin and meaning of Horatio

The meaning of Horatio is "Hour, time, season".
    Its origin is "English and Spanish variant of the Roman name Horatius".

This name is mostly being used as a boys name. Last year it ranked 8,232nd in the U.S. Social Security Administration list of most popular baby boy names. Show popularity chart

Horace is an English and Spanish variant of Horatius, which is a Roman family name that was derived from the Latin word "hora" (hour, time) though some suggest that it might have Etruscan origins and mean "killer" from the word "horath".

dsio, Larry S and Vitezi like this.
  3. HoraceM May 30, 2017

Well, well, fancy me coming 8232nd in anything, that's the best I've done for ages - and I've been around for AGES.
    Thanks for that, I'll get looking. Just given it an hour or so. Need to have a lie down now, let the grey matter have a rest. Thanks for this link.

marco, watchknut and Vitezi like this.
  4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan May 30, 2017

Hello Horace.

Google 'Speedmaster101'. Tap on the little green search box at the top right of the screen and type in 'Subdials'. If you still find it a bit confusing, then the author of that website, who is a member of this forum and goes under the user name @Spacefruit may be able to offer you some advice on what you ask.

You could also try searching the subject on this forum by using the search icon at the top of this page.

Cheers. :thumbsup:
    Jonathan

Edited May 30, 2017
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 30, 2017

All Speedmaster pros 42mm have the same subdials. I think your not seeing something correctly.

fskywalker and watch3s like this.
  6. HoraceM May 31, 2017

Really? In some of the shots I'm sure they look like they are flat as opposed to saucer shaped, no?
    hope you're right, it would help me no end.
    Further to this, after reading up on the myriad of variations on virtually every facet of these (vintage) watches, it's making me think of going along the more modern route. I'm not a collector, I just want a great looking watch that gives me pleasure to look at (like my car), so perhaps I should be looking at a 3570.50 or 311.30.42.30.01.005 ? This way I should have the watch I like the look of without the risk (mostly)

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2017

In real ones they are the same since 1971 which was the last of the stepped dials. After that you have domed dials. Stepped vs domed refers to an area around the minute market track on the out side of the dial.

Perhaps if you posted links to what your seeing.

8. HoraceM Jun 3, 2017

I'll try and show what I mean... Oh it worked. See,in the upper photo which I think is the 145.022, the sub-dials are obviously saucer shaped with a chamfer going down from the OD to the flat of the face, whereas in the lower image, 3570.50.00 the sub-dials seem to be flat and just a bit lower than the face of the main dial. Borrowed these photos from Fratellowatches.com (top) and Watchfinder.com
    Anyway, it's a bit academic now as I've decided to buy new or virtually new, possibly from Swisswatchesdirect.co.uk as there seems to be so much of a minefield out there on vintage watches and, as I say, I'm not a collector, I just want another great watch.

Omega-Speedmaster-145_022-69-9239.jpg 3570.50.00.jpg

watch3s likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2017

It's on both. The second picture is Heavily over processed and hard to make out. but all Speedmasters have that saucer shaped depression on the subdials.

10. HoraceM Jun 3, 2017

Yes, I suspected and hoped so, but it's nice to have it confirmed by an expert.
    Many thanks
    HoraceM

11. fskywalker Jun 7, 2017

I don't think that is the case, my moonphase Speedy Pro subdials are definitely at a different indent inwards, probably due to the different movement (caliber 1866 versus regular 1861)

IMG_7049.JPG

12. HoraceM Jun 8, 2017

I don't think this photograph is of the same model as the "Moonwatch" What is the model number?