Forums Latest Members

Stupid question - why the new design of case back?

1. Claven2 Dec 6, 2019

I've been wondering, apologies if covered before, my searches didn't turn it up, but what is the reason for the new scalloped case back design? Did the old round peg or earlier case back slots suddenly not meet their needs?

I mean, other than making all non-omega case wrenches obsolete and making AD service more likely over small independents, why would they have made the change?

It does not look aesthetically or technically superior to my eye. Have they ever said why they did it?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 6, 2019

Well, I doubt Omega would tell us why they changed it. And it is only changed on some watches; Speedmasters still have the slots.

I suspect it is not difficult to score an opener that fits; this will not force anyone to go to Omega/ ADs for service.

3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 6, 2019

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2019

It's to make people like me have to buy a whole new set of tools to open case backs...::facepalm2::

5. Claven2 Dec 7, 2019

That's about what I figured. And honestly not a great reason imho.

6. scapa Dec 7, 2019

I am sympathetic to the heightened irritation factor for those who have to remove them, but IIRC wasn’t the point to make perfect lining up of the caseback a certainty and thereby avoid the wrath of those for whom a 10-degree misalignment of same is a sleep-destroying abomination?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2019

Yes, I was being facetious obviously. The NAIAD system does align the case back...well at least they have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it on right anyway...:)

But when these products get redesigned, it does often require new tooling. So looking at the deep black PO's for example, the new case back tool for my Bergeon 5700 press is just shy of $200. And then there are the keys and handle for removing the ceramic case tube, and tube for the HEV, and those are another few hundred dollars (the whole set to cover a bunch of different watches is $6k+). There are other tools listed for the case, but the above would be the minimum needed to do a proper service, assuming I didn't need to change a crystal or something.

Then there are movement specific tools required, so the kit for the 8500/8900 is around $1600, and for the 9300/9900 is I think over $3k and includes special fixtures, movement holders, etc.

It becomes a business decision to bother getting these tools, and for me it makes no sense, in particular when I can't keep up with the work I have now and that work I am fully equipped to service...

keisuke_z, NGO1 and scapa like this.
  8. chronos Dec 7, 2019

Even though I've noticed the new system, I've never read anything about it and never looked it up on the internet. I just assumed the reason for it was to try to "get closer to Rolex", as they have their own system for ages.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2019

Lots of brands have their own system. Omega Seamasters have used the round holes in a circular pattern for a long time...Panerai have their own system...Breitling have their own system, etc.. It's pretty common for brands to have their own case back tool designs. BTW Rolex is probably the worst design out there, as the fine teeth on the case backs are often stripped (in particular on precious metal cases), and in general are not as securely mated to the case back tools as other designs in my experience.

AntonisCy likes this.
  10. Claven2 Dec 7, 2019

Totally agree about rolex cases. It's amazing how many have damaged serrations. I honestly don't know why rolex has retained the design???

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 7, 2019

To sell more casebacks.

stuart70 and NGO1 like this.