Forums Latest Members
  1. Gez137 Jan 6, 2016

Hello all,
    Thanks ahead of time if I ramble to long. I'm sure you folks get this question very often about if a watch is authentic or not.

Pretty sure I wont ever be in a situation to buy an Omega watch, let alone some of the fantastic ones I've seen recently on this forum so I just wanted to preface with that.

Good advertising causes you to want things, so naturally after seeing the new Bond movie recently the dang Omega logo is now stuck in my head. Long story short (not really) I literally see this at a boring old dingy outdoor flea market (No offense boring old dingy outdoor flea markets) and having recently seen the movie that logo was temporarily etched in my brain :D.

I pull it out of a jumble of watches, the Santa Claus looking man says $50, I say OK, plunk down a $50 and take it home.

Not a big investment obviously, but as I said earlier, aside from hitting the Powerball, I'm not getting an Omega anytime soon.

After trying to do some research and seeing one million threads about Caliber #'s and production dates and frankens and 50 other things I figure, 'How about you register and start a thread like the other 673,973,921 you've seen about people asking the same thing?'...

Thanks for taking the time to read and any comments you may have. I'm not delusional thinking I've hit the jackpot of watches, I highly doubt the dial is in original condition or anything like that. It could have Mickey Mouse parts inside for all I know. I'm assuming the entire thing has been pieced together. It seems to keep pretty accurate time, but i haven't bothered getting it cleaned up or tuned up until I figure out if its even worth it. At worst id wear it dead as a fashion accessory if its junk.

The Caliber says 490 and the movement is in the 15 million range along with a clunky looking crown that has the logo.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and hope you're all having a great New Year.....Actually, screw you guys, you've all got Omegas....I' m sure life's fine :cool::cool:

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0028.JPG
    Omega1, flw and Nobel Prize like this.
  2. alam Jan 6, 2016

i have not seen the movie yet, but I eventually will. Not expert here but looks like a real Omega. You are on target regarding missing the jackpot or scoring an original dial, but you are only down fifty bucks so that's not all that terrible. Ditch the Speidel-looking bracelet and invest another $150-200 in a basic tune up and better-looking leather strap and you may end up with a nice looking vintage watch!

Edited Jan 6, 2016
    Gez137 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2016

You have to stick around buddy, anyone that finishes a post with
    "screw you guys you've all got Omega,s"

The movement has to be worth $50 :D

blubarb, Gez137 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Gez137 Jan 7, 2016

Thanks for the feedback, I figured I'd ask since I have no Omega knowledge. I love watches like all you folks, but I know my limits on what I can buy. Have many cheapo type watches.

My vice is going on trips. I'm poor because of it :).

I recently stayed at this place in Venice which I'm sure watch aficionados would appreciate..

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot...ved=0ahUKEwizuKHzgpfKAhWFHD4KHbSXD7gQ_AUICigE

5. Gez137 Jan 7, 2016

Thank you buddy, I will definitely try to stick around. Bought the watch a few weeks ago, but didn't have time to post my questions.

I've been looking around the forum for a couple weeks and definitely have grown to appreciate this brand more and more just seeing how passionate folks are.

And I sincerely mean screw you guys on having some nice Omegas. Maybe one day I'll get a legit nice one.

Reminds me of the time where I carried around a Porsche keyring with a Ford key for years. My buddies loved that. I'm never getting one, but I've got the keychain baby....

Nobel Prize and STANDY like this.
  6. flw history nerd Jan 8, 2016

Based on your photos, it looks like you already have a legit nice one ... I could be wrong, but I think you got a deal!

jfinch and Gez137 like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 8, 2016

You have to start somewhere, and for $50, you got a very nice start. We see newbies come on here all the time that have spent $200-$500 on vintage Omegas that are far worse than yours. If I saw that at a flea market for $50, I would have picked it up in a dirt road second.

Put it on a nato or perlon strap and call it a day...or if you want to hustle, sell it on ebay and make $100 or so, and then take that money to upgrade into a nice Omega. You may think that is crazy, but I can trace my entire collection back to a Rolex 1655 I paid $500 for and sold for $4250 back in 1999...gave me the capital that I needed to fuel the passion.

Best of luck.

Gez137 and flw like this.
  8. cfw Jan 8, 2016

Dude never say never, I turned a $50 Omega in to a $3000 Rolex, how u ask? Knowledge and patience, patience to score the right watch at the price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452288590.332640.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452288613.531736.jpg

Nobel Prize and Gez137 like this.
  9. alam Jan 8, 2016

ah! there's hope for me! ;)

Seamaster_268_1.jpg
    Nobel Prize and Gez137 like this.
  10. mackguy Jan 8, 2016

I'm no expert, but I'm going to pretend to be one for a minute.
    15 million range puts it around 1956 per
    http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html

"Omega Automatic" , 2 adjustments.. This is good and bad. Bad because this was probably an entry level (or close to) watch... Good because if you're going to make a fake wouldn't you make a fake expensive one? Everything from your pics looks legit to me, but I don't know exactly what to look for.

Note the case "Star Watch Case Co" . I have a 1950 Longines that also has a case made by someone other than Longines.. from what I found in that era there was a heavy tax on imported watches, so in order to be competitive (remember there was still a quality American watch industry in the 50's) the Swiss would ship the movements to the US, where they would be put into cases by a US distributor. This minimized the tax.
    It also means the case does not have a serial # that matches the movement. It's an official factory sponsored "frankenwatch" as some people like to call them.

Since it was not cased by Omega originally, there's no matching "reference" #, but here's a watch that used the same caliber from the right era... looks like that caliber was also used in the Seamaster, but this is clearly not a Seamaster.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=37ee919fa41e503905b604c339ee7092

Your case is a reasonable facsimile of that one...

So all in all, no, you didn't get any sort of holy grail watch, but I think you got a legitimate 1950's Omega for $50. Get her a tune-up and a nice leather strap and enjoy!

Gez137 likes this.
  11. Lennov Jan 8, 2016

I think for that watch/reference you should google for

Omega fx6262

to get other samples. In my opinion the crown is not fitting to this model, also the hour-markers and never the subsecond hand.

But anyway, it's a still a nice bargain. Congratulations!

Gez137 likes this.
  12. Gez137 Jan 8, 2016

I like the 'in a dirt road second' line. I'm gonna steal that one..

My logic was the same. For $50 at worst it's a fashion accessory.

It's true though, this hobby (for lack of a better word) is truly addictive. Even a basic bottom of the barrel piece is interesting simply seeing how they each have a history and a heartbeat.

13. Gez137 Jan 8, 2016

Very nice watches.

14. Gez137 Jan 8, 2016

Very nice as well. Looks like a portable piece of art.

15. Gez137 Jan 8, 2016

Thank you for all that knowledge. Very interesting stuff and thanks for the link. I would have never known what to reference it against.

16. Gez137 Jan 8, 2016

Thank you .

I definitely thought the crown looked off. Can definitely see the sub second hand difference now that you mention it.

It looks like it's had a tough life.

17. Gez137 Jan 10, 2016

Any chance someone could tell me where I'd be able to get a few things for this watch??

Replacement crown (no idea what TAP #'s are or what this one would need), glass/acrylic and the small sub second hand? Ofrei doesn't have much looking under the caliber #. Unless I'm not searching correctly, which is definitely a possibility.

Thanks for any help you might have to anyone.

18. cfw Jan 10, 2016

Thanks

19. Gez137 Jan 17, 2016

Anyone know what a part number would be for the snap on gold bezel? The FX626 case # seems good for nothing in terms of searching for parts.

20. Omega1 Jan 17, 2016

image.jpeg
    Hi congrats on your first vintage omega it looks great and for 50 dollars a bargain.... Here is my first vintage watch bought in Sarasota while I was on holiday 25 years ago .. And have not been able get of this train ever since.. image.jpeg