Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 13, 2012

I really like this, but concerned it is a redial

VINTAGE OMEGA CONSTELLATION PINK 18K GOLD, ROSE, RARE ONIX DIAL 1968: http://bit.ly/SJ7iCs
    - Swiss Made above the minute track
    - the ns in Constellation don't fold over at all - they are like the font for the 7xx and 1xxx series Constellation
    - the "automatic" etc font is sans serif

Am I right, or do I really have a LOT more to learn?

But let's face it, I am not going to be buying it right yet, need to save up more!

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 13, 2012

Looks like a redial to me. Of course you should wait for the guys to chime in.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 13, 2012

Here is another one I'm not sure about. Sorry for jamming multiple questions into one thread
    VINTAGE OMEGA CONSTELLATION AUTOMATIC CHRONOMETRE 2782-10SC CAL 354 1954?: http://bit.ly/SixTpv

-San serif font
    - photos seem to deliberately prevent checking the MOY test

And another with San serif font?
    VERY RARE OMEGA CONSTELLATION CHRONOMETER HAMMERAUTOMATIK PIEPAN TOP: http://bit.ly/PR5om3

Now I'm getting very confused!

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 13, 2012

The inscription on the caseback just killed any interest I may have in this.:p

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 13, 2012

Absolutely! This is just a learning exercise for me.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 13, 2012

Respectable Member CanberraOmega

With the number of rotten Constellations around, many of us here will have to undergo a course, so as not to get stung. Long ago, the worst scenario would be a refinished dial which you could detect from a mile away.

Our over-qualified 'craftsmen' have today managed to produce a redone dial that looks real. This is a shocking-world as far as vintage-watch collecting is concerned. Be wary.

Thank-you.

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

Both of these look original to me, it can be hard to get a good picture of a waffle dial though. Too bad about the engraving, I would hve gone for it too if it wasn''t for that! :-(

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 13, 2012

The monocoque is a redial, the other two are ok.

Go for the 2652, it's the only one in good shape and all original. (by happy watch)

(the bezel has a small ding near 5)

9. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2012

You are correct - it's a redial.

That inscription ruined it. The bezel was polished once also - the bevel isn't crisp in some places.

Looks okay, except I think the crown is the later thicker replacement. That's no deal breaker.

10. pknopp Nov 13, 2012

Since this is a thread to try and get us amateurs some knowledge, I'll ask my question. Is it a big deal to swap out a back with a nasty inscription like the one noted here?

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

As far as I am concerned, as long as the back is the exact same reference, material, etc. and the is no changing of serial numbers, case numbers (not the same as reference numbers, some cases have production numbers) and there is no great time line causing design modifications, no. Beliefs of specific obsessive/compulsives may vary :rolleyes:

pknopp likes this.
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

Not a big deal to swap with a stainless steel back with the same case reference number. Bigger deal with the gold cases since they have a 6-8 digit number inscribed in the inner caseback specifically associated with the movement serial number. Besides, it is also much harder to locate a replacement gold caseback.
    As to inscriptions, they used to be the kiss of death for me but no longer. If the condition of the watch is otherwise excellent, I would consider it. In fact some watches with inscriptions are hardly used because they symbolize and important milestone or event and thus end up being in pristine condition. Steve (Cicindela) will remember he and I both foolishly passed up a watch because of this and regret that to this day.

13. pknopp Nov 13, 2012

I have seen inscriptions that wouldn't have stopped me from buying the watch. After all you can't see it while wearing it. The one here is pretty nasty though. IMO.

14. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2012

As said above, if the watch is rare or desireable enough, or the price is right, I'd tolerate an inscription.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

Yes Froggy, I have to admit , this one is pretty bad. :(

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

Not only is it a redial, it's a wrong dial. I think it was taken from a Ref. 168.010 or similar. That style of onyx marker is not found on the monocoques.

Also the real gold dials say "OM Swiss Made OM", and (at least on the pie-pan .025's) have a vertically brushed center.

A nice example of the larger onyx marker dial may be found here:

http://ns2.kaplans.se/kaplans/AuctionArt.aspx?vId=753961&lang=en

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

EDIT - The other two watches have very nice original dials. The one from Austria is already over market price, IMO. The one with the engraving will go for less.

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 13, 2012

Thanks for everybody's views:
    - monoque redial
    - other two genuine.

I was still bemused by the 2782 (one with inscription - http://www.ebay.com/itm/230878269865Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). I know that lots of signs point to genuine, the correct "re," the general age of the dial, but at closer look, I still thought the font on Constellation looks very thick, and the star was ever so slightly out of alignment.
    Capture ebay4.JPG Capture ebay3.JPG

So, off to Desmond's blog and luckily he has a very similar dial of a cal 354

While I am struggling to see the serifs, Desmond has a similar dial in his dials pdf:
    Capture desmond.JPG
    so I think that text is now accurate.

Here is an images of the COnstellation text from that same dial from Desmond
    Capture desmond2.JPG
    And the font looks right.

The 2652 (one without inscription) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190751209363Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) has similarly faint serifs (it is also a 354)
    Capture ebay5.JPG
    So I guess the lesson is, as Desmond points out, the degree of serif-ness varies, and you need to compare it to a legit dial very closely!

After all that, if I had the funds, I'd definatley be interested in these, but at the moment will have to pass.
    Thanks all
    Daniel

Capture desmond 2.JPG
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2012

Great work. You are doing the type of diligent study required to learn about these things.:thumbsup:

19. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2012

The Cranberry Man is studying for his bar exam to join the VΩBT.

20. chiko7734 Nov 13, 2012

I really like the waffle dial (of course) but since a lot of things have come up recently I'm going to have to pass on these as well. I might even need to sell something :(