Forums Latest Members

Stuck newbie - diver shortlist conundrum 300/BB58/PO

1. Bob Windowsill May 10, 2019

Hi from a first post lurker.

I’m treating myself to my first ‘proper watch’, with a £6k budget. For context, I’m a 45 y/o business consultant that visits clients occasionally, although I purposely avoid dressing too formally. I won’t be diving.

I tried to do this alone with lots of internet research and a visit to a dealer, but now I’m stuck!

First, I couldn't decide between the black Omega PO (below) and a blue Omega AT.

I’d now like both, and I can see how a blue AT and a black diver could be an excellent two watch pairing. I guess this is how collectors get started…

Unfortunately, the AT and PO are £4-4.5k each whereas say the Omega Diver 300 and Tudor BB 58 can be had for £2.5-3k.

(I considered pre-owned, but I can’t really find any deals and I don’t know which sources are and are not reliable. That makes me a bit nervous. Any suggestions on this front always useful or indeed the best for new sources).

So, I’m now pondering a stretch budget to obtain both the AT and either a Diver 300 or Tudor BB 58. I’ll regret not getting the PO I’m sure, but I don’t need two divers should I swap the AT out for the PO. I can't justify the expense of an AT and a PO.

Is anybody able to provide any views about below divers? I provide my own impressions but bear in mind, these are coming from a newbie!

Diver 300
    Lovely, hence on my short list. Possibly a bit blingy and perhaps a bit too ‘obvious’ and [or] in your face (for me). Perhaps it’s the gloss bezel, which I realise is ceramic and has a purpose.

PO
    I felt this to be more contemporary and cleaner/fresher than the diver, yet it still felt classic insofar as it would probably survive the years better as fashions change. A nice balance between classy and fun.

Black Bay
    This was a curve ball. I really liked it but I’m not quite sure why! On one hand, I wondered if the gold was too vintage or a bit old fashioned for me, but on the other hand it comes across as a sensible and classy (perhaps befitting my age), and it still had a modern feel that I couldn’t pinpoint. Felt like a relaxed and comfortable safe bet (perhaps too much so?).

I noticed that the blue BB 58 uses white rather than gold and looks much fresher, but it appeared less classic to my eyes. The black seemed to have more going on with its contrast.

Overall, I preferred the BB over the Diver 300 (probably sacrilege), but on balance not over the PO, although there’s still something about the BB that gives me pause and I’m not completely convinced by that statement.

Other watches
    I liked but ruled out the likes of Oris (their Sixty Five and Aquis) and Christopher Ward, which better fit by budget but did not do enough to drag me away from the above watches.

Literally any opinions would be useful to me!

*I'm posting this on the Omega and one other forum for a broader spread of views. Sorry for the length of the post.

20.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2019

Look for preowned. The sales forum here has very reputable sellers. Also, set up a search on watchrecon.com. It scours most of the watch websites' sales fora.
    I would choose the Black Bay, with ETA movement, and a dress watch.

Edited May 10, 2019
    robinhook, jcmartinez98 and jankymutt like this.
  3. connieseamaster May 10, 2019

Have you considered the Seamaster 300 at all?

rcs914 likes this.
  4. Omega-Q May 10, 2019

Of your choices and what you are looking for, I would choose the Black Bay as well. Good luck!

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2019

It's listed.

Baz9614 likes this.
  6. bz0123 May 10, 2019

Sounds like you really want the PO. I say get that and then decide it you want get to another after that.

7. bz0123 May 10, 2019

Also, if you want the AT because it dresses up better, almost nobody will care. As long as the cuff of your shirt can handle the watch, it will look fine.

8. boraxman May 10, 2019

Well you can guess my pick :thumbsup:

9. JwRosenthal May 10, 2019

If you plan to wear these with dress shirts, you may want to try them all on at a local dealer (you don’t have to buy it from them), and see which works comfortably for you. I can’t wear some of my big honkers with dress shirts as they keep getting caught on the cuff and I’m fussing with them all the time or risk looking like a jack-ass with my big watch in front of the cuff in a meeting. Or as @efauser said, get a decicated dress watch in addition to a sport watch.

+2 on hunting the classified’s here, new stuff goes up daily including all you have mentioned and the sellers here have a rep to protect so you don’t risk getting screwed as much like you do on eBay.

10. JPE.88305 May 10, 2019

Don't have a diver 300 or PO but I love the feel of the SM300 (both the trilogy and the standard). Price point is higher but more "refined" look than the diver 300 IMO.
    IMG_2920.jpg IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2300.jpg
    I love the BB58...the size and feel are perfect, weight is good, great power reserve (~72 hrs) so you can take it off over the weekend while you wear a beater around the house and it will still be ticking away Monday AM. The "faux patina" is done well; gold accents on hands and bezel.
    IMG_2800.jpg
    Oris is a great price compromise IMO...cheapest of all three, but a great watch. Have worn this with a leather strap around town, and a rubber strap on the beach several times. The bronze 65 develops a nice patina.
    IMG_2288.jpg IMG_2954.jpg
    But if you're looking for a modern SS without gold accents, the Diver 300 or PO are great options--would like to get a PO at some point...after all this Apollo 11th hype dies down....
    I appreciate the vintage styled redo's so don't mind gold.

11. jankymutt May 10, 2019

Have you tried on all the watches you are considering? I was in your shoes a couple months ago and almost pulled the trigger on a PO, but thankfully went to a store and tried them all on.

I have a small (6.75in) but flat wrist. I just couldn’t pull off the size and weight of the PO. It also didn’t work with the cuff of my dress shirts. I ended up with a pre-owned seamaster 300 from the forum.

I can’t emphasize and recommend purchasing a pre-owned from the forum. In the past 6 weeks I bought 4 omegas, all from the forum. I would have spent 50% more if I bought them all new from an AD (plus all the taxes I would have paid).

F9B02361-471B-493E-9952-F8F198A0D802.jpeg B744EAD1-8115-4BBA-B1B7-DA2633519348.jpeg
    robinhook and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. jankymutt May 10, 2019

Like @JPE.88305 said, the seamaster 300 is a great watch that can we worn causal or dressed up. (I think the moonwatch can be just as versatile too!)

13. Bob Windowsill May 10, 2019

Thanks so far everybody - really useful comments. I may have imagined it, but was there a rule that I would need to have 50 posts in order to to buy a preowned here? (This is my second post!).

The Oris and Speedmaster were close in line, good calls.

I can see myself building a collection over time. Unlike my wife, I don't wear jewellery, so this means I can spend more on watches, right (I wonder if she'll roll with that).

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2019

jankymutt and Foo2rama like this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2019

No, she won't.

jankymutt likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal May 10, 2019

If you get a piece of jewelry, she gets one too-it works. Just factor it into the cost of what you’re buying.

17. Bob Windowsill May 10, 2019

I shall remind her that she received an engagement ring years ago and that I'm in credit :thumbsup: (no I won't!).

18. Bob Windowsill May 10, 2019

19. Wivac Terribly special May 10, 2019

If the PO is a strong contender , but the budget on both that and the AT may be a challenge, have you considered the previous 2500 PO?

the 2500 has less height on the wrist compared to the current PO, so can sit under a cuff, some consider it a bit of a future 'classic' contender, it manages to straddle the line between fun and dressy.

Pine Webster and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Bob Windowsill May 10, 2019

Interesting (going to check it out)

Wivac likes this.