Forums Latest Members

Struggling w vintage and going back forth

1. bnabod Aug 31, 2016

The title says it all I want to like vintage Omega pieces and really do. I have been staring at Mark IIs and IV and 4.5 for a while and I just cannot seem to commit.
    My head starts spinning with questions: how much will the case refurb cost, add a new service,parts, all original ....so I give up for a while . Then I wake up and say whoa I really like that Mark xyz and round we go .

Anyone else strangely dealing with this??????

Maybe I need medication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2016

Maybe you need to buy one and see how it goes.... It can be a fun ride.

Vitezi, joso, blubarb and 3 others like this.
  3. Rman Aug 31, 2016

YEs. The forgetting is in the buying. :thumbsup: The spinning will cease after a few purchases. Then you will need vintage regularly.

LawBrk and noelekal like this.
  4. w.finkenstaedt Aug 31, 2016

Went vintage for a long time, dealt with a few vintage speedies because they're worth it, but most vintage are a headache to own as they're not nearly as durable as modern.

Not comfortable going on my boat or surfing with vintage even if I know the seals are new. With my AT or Ti PO, I'll even golf or play softball in them.

5. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2016

This is a n00b condition called "horological decisionitis". Veterans already know the answers to the questions bouncing around your head and therefore don't fret over them. Also, n00bs see SO MANY watches they want, they try to buy them all until they have to flake on some of their commitments.

Maybe. This could help:

fuckitol.jpg

....... or maybe you need more money.

Nitzbar, zimmerit5, flw and 8 others like this.
  6. bnabod Sep 1, 2016

That pill could always help and more money sure is always nice .
    But the struggle is more on the risks of owning something that may not be pleasing down the line along w multiple headaches on service and parts . The Mark II movement is the same aa speed pro so no issues w part the lemania in 4.5 is also widely available. I guess I am struggling and maybe deep down I just like being the first owner. there is something about unpacking the watch for 1st time creating a hx with it

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2016

No

voere likes this.
  8. Kja Sep 1, 2016

It's weird.. I feel like that about New, I can't even but things from the past twenty years they just feel too new to me.. I guess soulless? Something about an old watch..

9. ATWG Sep 1, 2016

Dive in, and enjoy the ride....stop thinking too much. I personally own more vintage than modern as I find them a lot more charming and full of character. I agree that the new watches just look too new.

Vitezi and noelekal like this.
  10. ulackfocus Sep 1, 2016

Shazam!

Besides, watches don't have an expiration date (well, batteries do) and watches have resale value.

11. ConElPueblo Sep 1, 2016

Costs should be a no-brainer. Factor in a service and a well-maintained, vintage watch will almost always turn out cheaper to buy, cheaper to service in years to come, and be of higher value than a similar, new watch.

flw, noelekal and voere like this.
  12. Maybe Sep 1, 2016

I mean youre honest with your question. Too much restoration projects soak energy, imo. Obviously you like tool watches, just try to find nicer examples! (But stay on the Fukitol for a while.)

bnabod likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 1, 2016

As mentioned, you can figure out costs for service, parts, case rehab, etc. Those add up an definitely need to be factored into the equation if you plan to own several watches.

Yep, Speedmasters will make your head spin.

image.png

Nitzbar, meganfox17, LawBrk and 5 others like this.
  14. Clibka Sep 1, 2016

Keep one modern-ish piece to bang around and not worry so much about and start down the long and fun track of vintage horology.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2016

Just think, you drop the price of a vintage service the minute the new watch hits the outside of a boutique / AD door.

noelekal likes this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 1, 2016

I've not found vintage watches to be a headache to own. Serviced and maintained, they all tick merrily and accurately when called upon and give trouble-free service. I'm not hard on watches and have a selection from which to choose as I play "watch-of-the-day." No single watch sees heavy regular use so the watches here lead a somewhat cloistered life. Even the weekend knock-around watches have proved rugged though they are vintage. Vintage appeals to me in a way that most new watches can't.

Clibka and Vitezi like this.
  17. ATWG Sep 1, 2016

How can you not love these??

Taddyangle likes this.
  18. papercrake Sep 1, 2016

I can totally relate to this actually. Add the fact that there are fakes and misrepresented franken-watches out there and it's enough to paralyze.

19. bnabod Sep 1, 2016

That is what I worry about some say don't refurb some say go for it.some have been half refurbed w all genuine parts but chrono hand has diff lume color than the rest so u can tell it was changed. Is that a bad thing...papers are rarely available or come at a huge premium . Some say sure we did service it but no proof but say it run cosc specs.
    I do agree they have soul more so than brand new ones though

Sherbie likes this.
  20. westmtn Sep 1, 2016

The key is being patient, educated, and careful with the initial purchase. I've personally made money on most of the vintage watches I bought and later sold. I don't have much experience with the vintage autos but I find the manual winds to be surprisingly durable.

Clibka and bnabod like this.