Strong result for first Grand Seiko

Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
A lot of the watches have shown very strong prices, vintage and contemporary. The George Daniels double sided wristwatch from 1992 (Lot 27) went for more than CHF 4,000,000.
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
A lot of the watches have shown very strong prices, vintage and contemporary. The George Daniels double sided wristwatch from 1992 (Lot 27) went for more than CHF 4,000,000.

But this is the Seiko forum. :whipped:
 
Posts
5,333
Likes
75,939
Lovely watch & deserved it鈥檚 price , nice to see GS getting the recognition.
 
Posts
743
Likes
2,549
Wow, and I have some solid gold vintage Seikos that make that thing look pedestrian by comparison
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
Wow, and I have some solid gold vintage Seikos that make that thing look pedestrian by comparison

Are they First Grand Seiko's?
 
Posts
13,905
Likes
54,078
The folks in Marketing are doing cartwheels right now. Vintage numbers like this for a brand are a very good omen.
 
Posts
975
Likes
1,517
That seems like an insane price, even if you like Seikos (I do).
 
Posts
1,010
Likes
2,985
That seems like an insane price, even if you like Seikos (I do).

I mean if 20k is lunch money to someone I don't think discipline in valuation is the top priority... I swear some of these it feels like a case of buyer wants watch, and it just happens to be there, and they can't be bothered to deal hunt
 
Posts
240
Likes
521
r
I mean if 20k is lunch money to someone I don't think discipline in valuation is the top priority... I swear some of these it feels like a case of buyer wants watch, and it just happens to be there, and they can't be bothered to deal hunt
Rightfully said! I have been to a few auction previews where regular clients who shell out 7 figures on art but have no idea of watches being bought to the watch booth. These watches don't even cost a tenth of even the commission on one of those so they wont blink an eye.
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
To my knowledge the J14070 is gold filled, not gold plated. So a bit more gold involved than described. Still, that price should easily get you a full set J14070 and you鈥檇 probably have more than half left over.
 
Posts
1,320
Likes
10,698
Not common to find a 3180 with full kit. But I鈥檓 surprised as this isn鈥檛 even a carved dial. The early carved have started to touch 10k on the market.

.