Forums Latest Members
  1. lord83 Apr 14, 2013

Hello everybody,

As I didn't notice an introduction section, i'll do it before going further.

I live in Paris, France and I'm currently owning a Pacer by Hamilton. I always loved the shape and when 3 years ago my old boss offered me one it was unbelievable (as many shops, and vendors, experts told me that it was really rare on this side of the ocean).

Anyway, time flies and after several issues, and few emails with René Rondeau the Hamilton expert it seems vain to hope it'll be working properly one day.

And here's when I come to the point.

I've been considering purchasing an old Omega Constellation, and more precisely with a black dial. As I read many post on this forum before, and over few other blogs, I do understand that it's pretty rare, and not always original.

After some intense research I came across this one (sadly I only have these small and not so clear pictures, but I emailed the seller asking for larger pics and also case numbers).

Capture d’écran 2013-04-14 à 19.37.07.png Capture d’écran 2013-04-14 à 19.36.59.png Capture d’écran 2013-04-14 à 19.37.12.png Capture d’écran 2013-04-14 à 20.04.01.png Capture d’écran 2013-04-14 à 20.04.17.png

It is said to be a caliber 354, c. 1954, but I have serious doubts :

1) I've noticed that it's written "Chronometer" instead of "Chronometre"

2) The MOY test seems okay, but the hair across the "Constellation" seems to be a little bit on the right

3) The 9, 6 numbers seem misshaped (or is it the camera angle ?) (By the way, any idea who made these numbers back in the days, they are exactly the same on my Pacer ? )

Well then, what are your thoughts ?

Thanks for reading

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

First welcome to Omega Forums. Please to have you here.

Well the dial has been refinished (repainted). The case is a bit worn and polished, especially the back and bezel.
    The Crown is replaced with a modern replacement which appears in the photograph to be oddly too large (may just be photo).
    On would like to see pictures of the movement and inside of the case back.

3. stefan Apr 14, 2013

Nice watch but refinished dial, case has also lost it's sharp edges, conservatory logo quite worn.

4. lord83 Apr 14, 2013

Thank you for your fast reactions even though it is sad news as I expected, too good to be true.
    I'm awaiting more photos from the seller, probably tomorrow.

5. Dablitzer Apr 14, 2013

That watch is from Austin Kaye Vintage Watches. It's a redial, but fine if you can put up with that, they sell clean, slightly? polished watches that have been properly serviced and are generally reliable....

6. lord83 Apr 14, 2013

Well in that case, I'm not willing to pay that amount of money for something that isn't original, even though the seller is fine as you explained.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 14, 2013

Good decision. It isn't worth getting anything from Austin Kaye if you're interested in originality.

8. Smoothwinder Apr 15, 2013

What about it "shows" that it's redial? MOY seems OK, right? What are the other clues?