Forums Latest Members
  1. RetroLiono Nov 1, 2015

First off, as of today I am the proud owner of a Railmaster. Love it. It is currently on the oem dark leather deployment. I am after your thoughts on a strap that would dress the watch down. I was thinking toshi strap in tan or even the new bond nato.
    Would really appreciate your thoughts or photos
    Thanks a lot.

2. abrod520 Nov 1, 2015

Congratulations on your purchase - why not take some photos of it, so those of us who may make suggestions know what we're dealing with? Can't make a strap recommendation without knowing what the watch looks like, after all... ;)

3. RetroLiono Nov 2, 2015

OK, some pics. First is on the oem dark brown. The second is on a rougher brown strap. This gives a slightly less dressy look which is more what I'm after.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

Depending on your budget I'd look maybe for a Horween shell cordovan strap, I like the slightly lighter brown on the second photo but that stitching doesn't do it for me personally.
    If it were my watch, I'd get something like this:
    [​IMG]

Without the holes, of course. But the dark brown with the tiny dash of cream-colored stitching would work well with your watch. This particular strap is made by Heuerville, https://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/ .

As it happens, I've got one on order for my old Railmaster right now ;)

If your budget won't allow for something on the higher end, I've found that eBay is a great resource for simpler straps, just search "XXmm brown watch strap" where "XX" = the lug width on your watch. Happy hunting!

5. usfpaul82 Nov 2, 2015

check out BandRbands . com. They have a good selection. Here are some picstures of mine I could dig up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 2, 2015

I don't have enough words to describe how I hate hate hate this type of strap on a dress watch. The bar tacking near the spring bars. The lack of lining (though I am mostly undecided about that). Price is pretty good these days,

I have one of these:

http://www.holbensfinewatchbands.com/fluco-italian-shell-cordovan-brown/

"Brown" is Holween #8, sort of reddish, which I like. Matches my shoes!

I guess there is a place for those rustic types of straps but not for me!

Tom

7. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

You'll notice I mentioned the strap would work without the holes ;) I agree that racing straps don't (or rarely) work on three-handers. And the particular strap I posted was just one choice of leather / color, I'd agree that that particular one wouldn't do - I meant the style though.

However I don't think the Railmaster is a dress watch - it's certainly on the nicer side of casual but let's not forget its inspiration was a tool watch, and the dial markings support that. I actually think it's worse on a crocodile strap since those belong on dress watches.

On a watch like this, I prefer a strap with the small stitching up by the lugs, since it's nice but casual. And while we're locked in heated argument, I think the stitching on the strap you posted is a bit too prominent to be worn on a proper dress watch ;)

8. RetroLiono Nov 2, 2015

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I do like the versatility of this watch.

T WIN likes this.