Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 1, 2014

I recently stole...um...paid Dennis' asking price (same thing) for a 60's IWC auto. I cannot photograph it at this hour to flatter it, but it is really a lovely little time teller.
    Yellow gold with a gold-colored sunburst dial:
    [​IMG]
    It needs a nicer strap than what I thought would work on it. It measures 19mm at the lugs. The diameter is just shy of 35mm, so the 20mm strap I squeezed on it makes the watch look a bit...shrunken head-like. I think it has to do with the contemporary width too. It doesn't taper much if at all...
    So I'm thinking I need a proper 19mm band for starters. Then, taper to what...16mm? 14mm? Then, alligator? Square scale? or round? Croc? Ostrich? Then what color, black? Brown? Dark/medium/light? Then, glossy or matte?
    I know I think too much. I'm hoping you are, too. Any thoughts?
    I can say I am looking for a dressier band, not a Hodinkee yarn-stitched cordovan strap. Maybe NATO? KIDDING! No NATO!

citizenrich likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 2, 2014

Contemporary to the watch?

Tapered leather, 19mm to about 16mm.

For semi-casual wear:

In a nice rich tan, maybe lightly padded and not too ostentatious, you don't want to overpower the watch.

Going to the Opera?

Matt or gloss black, same size etc.

Keleran in Florida have some nice stuff and they are a favourite of Dennis so you cant go wrong. :D

http://stores.ebay.com.au/kelaranusa/WATCHSTRAPS-/_i.html?_fsub=14871512

citizenrich likes this.
  3. bieb1 Jul 2, 2014

I think glossy black with round scale snake pattern and tapering to a 14 buckle would be very elegant, like on this connie.

connie 18 kt 3.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 2, 2014

citizenrich and JohnSteed like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2014

Love the dial on that one

citizenrich likes this.
  6. bieb1 Jul 2, 2014

Thank you!

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 2, 2014

Brown shell cordovan, perhaps?

This is from watchbandcenter.com in Germany

[​IMG]

citizenrich and Hijak like this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 2, 2014

I considered Kelaran but their selection in 19mm straps is limited (and not so traditional color wise). There is also little discernible taper on their straps.
    I am looking for (as JimInOZ says) more of an Opera strap: a dressy, padded and stitched alligator or other exotic (except snake! My phobia carries over...).
    I have a Calatrava with a chestnut brown matte alligator strap to die for, so I'm leaning black on the IWC. ALTHOUGH...the gold dial would probably look even better with dark brown.
    Camille Fournet looks like the absolute best, but you pay for it. I guess if I was certain which way to go in terms of material/color/finish/padding/stitching/taper, I would give them a try.
    They manufactured the brown strap I love on the Patek. The taper is 21mm on the lugs to 16mm at the buckle, and it looks good. But I don't know if it's the 5mm drop (ratio) that looks good, or the 16mm width? Meaning: would I do 19mm and drop 5mm to 14mm? or keep the buckle side at 16mm?
    If you're still with me, thank you, and keep the suggestions coming!

9. bieb1 Jul 2, 2014

padded and stitched alligator or other exotic (except snake! My phobia carries over....).

Oops...sorry for suggesting snake ::facepalm1::

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 2, 2014

No worries. I can handle just about everything snake except seeing a live one close by. And it's more about being startled, not so much phobic that I'm paralyzed.
    We live in a rural area where there are frequent sightings of the Pacific Rattlesnake.
    Creeps me out...

11. Hijak Jul 2, 2014

Keep an eye out because Kelaran will have some nice 19mm straps every now and then...purchased both of these 19mm straps there...
    New Strap, 2.JPG
    New Strap.JPG

citizenrich likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 2, 2014

Nobody ever asks for my opinion!

psyched!!

for uber dress watches such as your nice new IWC, I prefer curved end such as the Hirsch Medici.

your watch would look lovely with supple black nappa and a gold flip lock deployant. All-in would be right around 100 (this seller gives $5 off each item if you ask) and worth twice that!

image.jpg image.jpg
    CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 3, 2014

Digging deeper in the watch strap drawer, I found a 19mm that tapers to 16mm, with a lizard-embossed leather. Remember Speidel? (Are they still in business?)
    It gets me closer to the right option. I think a dark brown matte alligator/crocodile or lizard band with light padding and same tone stitching is in order.
    I like the Hirsch Medici suggestion but think I actually prefer the straight lug-ends. I'm also considering a more dramatic taper (to 14mm).
    Enough obsessing. Thanks for the suggestions! Here's my nice watch on a cheap band:
    [​IMG]

adam78 likes this.