Forums Latest Members

Strap Options for Speedmaster Pro and Seamster 300

1. JLMedia Jan 18, 2016

Can I get some advise on straps please. I purchased a new Speedmaster Pro and Seamster 300 last Friday and am keen to look at strap options. (apologies if this subject has been done several times)

My Speedy pro came with the bracelet and the black nato of course but I would be keen to get the classic black/grey striped nato to use on this Speedy pro and also my Seamaster 300 that I bought at the same time.

I noticed when I tried to fit the leather strap from the SM300 to the Speedy Pro it was slightly too wide.

What are the strap sizes on both so I know what to look out for.

Should I steer clear of genuine straps because of the cost? (I do prefer better quality but dont want to just throw away hundreds for the sake of it if there are really high quality non genuine) I would prefer to buy from the UK for ease.
    If the SM is in fact slightly larger, how ridiculous would the smaller strap look on this watch if I went for something designed to fit the Pro but wanted to use it on the SM at times?

Oh, I may look for a deployant buckle for the Speedy pro, what size would I need and should I look for a particular finish?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Edited Jan 18, 2016
  2. duc Jan 18, 2016

My shopping is usually done from US sites, so I can't help you there. I would say that the lug size difference between the two watches should not concern you. Unless you go for the Omega NATO straps, the cost of straps is very low, comparatively. Just by the correct size for each and forget about trying to get away with the wrong size in one or the other. In the US, a good NATO (or the heavier ZULU) runs south of $20 each.

If you decide on the far superior Omega straps, you may decide otherwise.

All that said, you picked up two of the nicest pieces available. Treat yourself right and get the NATOs from Omega. If you go back to the boutique you bought the watches from, they might treat you very well given your spending history with them.

3. JLMedia Jan 18, 2016

Thanks for the compliments on the choices. An awful lot of thought went into these two so it's very satisfying To know I have chosen well.

I may look at genuine for now as I would like to know I have great quality throughout.
    I will speak with the boutique and push for a deal.
    The Aligator/croc straps really appeal to me so will look at those first.
    Thanks again for the words.

Edited Jan 18, 2016
  4. Andreas Jan 18, 2016

The lug width on the speedy is 20mm and on the seamaster is 21mm.
    You can find a lot of great aftermarket straps especially 20mm which is a more common size.

5. JLMedia Jan 18, 2016

That's what I wondered. I knew it wasn't much out and didn't think it was as much as 2mm
    That's good to know thanks. What about the deployant end? 18mm I guess.

Edited Jan 18, 2016
  6. JLMedia Jan 18, 2016

If I am buying aftermarket leather straps to fit the deployant, do I need to make sure they are a certain size

Edited Jan 18, 2016
  7. italy1861 Jan 18, 2016

The deployant or buckle end should be 18mm on a 20mm strap.

Kofosu and JLMedia like this.
  8. yinzerniner Jan 18, 2016

Lot of things to consider IF you are looking to keep everything OEM Omega.
    The OEM Omega deploy style buckle with is used for the Speedy Pro and SM300 is 18mm where it accepts the strap ends. However, the dimensions of each strap piece is different than most aftermarket straps.
    Normally straps that use a tang buckle or a deploy clasp is 115/75 or 120/80 long holed side / short buckle side. The regular length of OEM Omega deploy straps is 105/100. Also, because of the operation of the Omega clasp the straps don't need keepers, whereas the great majority of aftermarket straps have keepers already stitched into them.
    The thickness of the OEM Omega Deploy straps is very tricky too. Too thin at the clasp sides of each strap end and it will be very loose when installed, and too thick at the clasp sides and the strap cannot even be installed in the clasp.
    You must also consider your wrist size as the deploy style straps are best for wrists roughly 6.5" to 8". Any larger or smaller and you will need either the Long version OEM Omega or the short version, of which colors, materials, styles and fits is even more limited.
    There are many other things to consider if you really want to stick with all Omega but you're best bet is to ask your local AD and see if what they have on hand.

For the Omega natos in regular nylon like the black and grey "Bond" striped one you mentioned above you will need two different sizes and two different types of springbars. For the 20mm wide lugs of the Speedy Pro you will need a 20mm wide strap, and you can mount on either straight or curved springbars. For the 21mm wide lugs of the SM300 MC you will need a 22mm wide strap (Omega doesn't make the regular nylon natos in odd sizes) and curved springbars.

alam and Andreas like this.
  9. JLMedia Jan 19, 2016

Superb thorough response there. Thank you very much. I will have another read and try to digest it all. I am more of an OEM man myself anyway but I just wanted to check if I would be wasting my money with original when people know of really great 3rd party options.
    What would you suggest as a NATO option that would suit both?

10. E MAN Jan 20, 2016

I'm also looking for some aftermarket leather straps for a SMP. Where should I look for a decent strap that won't break the bank?

E

11. alam Jan 20, 2016

Some options shown by members here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedy-strapsology.33330/

One source I have used in the past: https://omegaforums.net/threads/an-assortment-of-oem-omega-straps-deploy-clasps.29799/

A source reported here as decent quality straps for those on a budget: https://omegaforums.net/threads/good-quality-croc-straps-from-vietnam.24697/

A Seller I watch on the bay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/magicstrap?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Happy strap hunting!

12. yinzerniner Jan 21, 2016

The problem is you would need to find a 21mm nato to fit both the Speedy Pro and the SM300 MC using curved spring bars for the Speedy Pro 20mm lugs and straight spring bars for the SM300 21mm lugs, and I don't know of any good quality 21mm nylon natos. Maybe someone else could offer a source.

Are you speaking of a SMP (20mm lugs) or a SM300 MC (21mm lugs)? If it's the SMP then there are a ton of 20mm options, but it depends on whether you want to use the superior Omega clasp. Also, are you only interested in leather or do you mind embossed leather, canvas, alligator, etc? And what is your definition of "break the bank?" See my post here for a few independent makers :
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/im-...in-cognac-or-reddish-brown.29395/#post-329385

As I stated before there seems to be a price gap where you either get good quality or fantastic quality. Below $50 USD you can get decent to good quality in either traditional sizing or Omega clasp sizing from a good amount of makers. From $50 to $120 or so the options are very limited or nonexistent with the exception of Hirsch and I've also heard good things about BandR Bands. From $120 and above the selection opens up immensely and in all different types, sizes, styles and fits. JPM straps made for WatchObsession, Hodinkee, or Bulang and Sons are some of the best vintage-style straps, for Omega deploy clasps the Barenia leather strap is a great deal at ~$140 retail from an Omega Boutique, and from $200 and up you have lots of different options, either through traditional outlets or custom made.

Best bet is to see what type of strap you want then affix a max price you're willing to spend then ask if anything fits the bill. With so many options out there you need to be particular and direct in your requests for assistance.

13. E MAN Jan 22, 2016

IS it weird I bought a strap before I even have a watch to put it on? Just picked up a Bas & Loke strap for my soon to be mine Speedmaster...

14. Blackbox0903 Jan 23, 2016

so many high quality aftermarket strap makers. You can go custom or bigger.....
    - Bas and Lokes
    - Bulang and Sons
    - aaronbespoke
    do a search and you will find endless amounts of strap choices.

JLMedia likes this.
  15. JLMedia Jan 24, 2016

Thank you. I will have a look.