Forums Latest Members

[Strap making] newbie sad day...

1. Fost Jul 9, 2016

Dear member

I was thinking that maybe some of you might be interested to learn how to make your own strap. I am a newbie in the field but sometime it is easier to explain when you don't have so much experience as you really focus on what is important to know!
    And at the end... I will show you how you can loose 2 hours of work in 3 sec :)
    So first are the tools!
    image.jpeg
    As I don't know the English name of each I will just show you how to use them :)
    So you first need some leather. Cut a part with the width you need (20/18mm in this case)

Then you need to thin the part that will be attached to the watch, with this tool:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    After fine tuning (you can burn the the little part created during the thining process), you repeat the same for the part link to the buckles. Then, it is time to glue the Inside (goatskin)
    Then you prepare the first attach, and you glue it.
    image.jpeg
    And you glue the 2 edge.
    image.jpeg
    ( One part is too long is this case... But I decided to Continue...but... When I dyed the sidewall in black....
    image.jpeg
    Haaaaa.... OK... I restart from the beginning....
    So second attempt is really better... Now you need to sew... It is the longest part and quite difficult to explain in.picture so here is a good video to Learn how to sew leather :

So here we are...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now you just need to make the hole for the buckles....
    image.jpeg
    And here you can see that I am nothing but a real idiot... Haaaaa !!!!!!!... 2 hours lost...
    So I have to redo it now for the 3rd time...
    But I decided to try the first attempt on the wrist... So This leather is really really nice so I am motivated to finish a perfect one tomorrow!!!
    Thanks for reading this really really sad story... I am done... But Still enjoy the strap making! Just try!

Edited Jul 10, 2016
    ahartfie, JimInOz, al128 and 9 others like this.
  2. Vitezi Jul 9, 2016

To me, a slight imperfection makes it perfect already. :)

3. redpcar Jul 9, 2016

Very nice. ooooh, ooooh, do a football/basketball skin leather strap next.
    btw, your video link is not loading......

4. wristpirate Jul 9, 2016

I like a bit of diy but am too lazy to do it. Nice to see others out there doing it. Cheers

5. Huus Jul 9, 2016

Very nicely done.
    And remember, practice makes perfect. A bit to much dye is part of the learning process.
    Good luck with it.

6. Fost Jul 10, 2016

Finally I succeed :)... With time to do another one...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now I need to stop... :)
    image.jpeg

ahartfie, DesignerV, JimInOz and 3 others like this.