Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 15, 2014

I have a yearning to put a period strap on my little US Army Omega, so I've been scanning the interwebs but the choice is mind numbing, and I can't find the style I want.

The current strap, though nice, doesn't suit the watch or my perception of what it should look like.

I'm after a WW2 style canvas or cotton strap in jungle green, olive drab or khaki. Or even a "NATO" if it would look right.

Any suggestions?

Or suggestions for suitable contemporary straps that would suit for a period look?

US_Army_30T2.jpg

UncleBuck likes this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 15, 2014

Jim, Iove that watch! Please put me on the dibs list with U.S. Army veterans preferential treatment, please.

I like your thinking, OD cotton with olive or black grommetted tang holes and some burly stitching and maybe a rivet or two would be super cool

My next thoughts would be an oil finished dark cowhide with heavy stitching matching the boots of the era.

untitled.png This leather is close but the bright rivets are all wrong, should be brass or black.

zuludiver_zulu_5r_green_pvd_1_600.jpg

3. agee Jan 15, 2014

I have 4 Omega US Army watches in my collection
    I have a black Bund strap on one (not my favorite, but it has an Omega buckle on it), a Jurgens leather strap on another (I like the Jurgens straps a lot), and green NATO type straps on 2
    The US Army green canvas straps from WWII were mostly produced for 16mm lugs-I have many of these in my collection.
    I have not seen any of these straps in 18mm although there are new canvas straps in green and khaki/tan that are in 18mm
    I think the green Maratac NATO looks good on the WWII Omegas
    Also I have a few hand made Horween straps on some of my military watches. They are the most comfortable and good looking straps that I have worn. They would look awesome on the Omega, but they are pricey. They come in various colors
    and would look good on the Omega

pmontoyap likes this.
  4. agee Jan 15, 2014

Just in case anyone may be interested
    I have for sale now on the PX one of my WWII US Army Omegas-case #2384-1
    I would be happy to include a gently used newer tan canvas strap or a NATO strap
    in the sale

5. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 15, 2014

Not a great pic but this is the best that I could come up with for mine.

[​IMG][/URL]

cheers

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

My Ref. 2179 came on an original Omega padded leather band and signed buckle. I purchased it from the family of the original owner who was in the US Army Air Corps.

Here are some of the seller's pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my knowledge, none of these had solid fixed lug bars, so original use of NATO type watchbands would be unlikely. The vintage leather look is nice, but probably not historically correct.

I preserved the Omega watchband and put on a Speidel distressed Sportcalf band, which is similar to the original.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

I have mine on a new but vintage style thick tan pigskin strap, but I have no idea where it originated (came to me on a bubbleback) or where to find an identical one. It is much thicker and softer than those from IW.

[​IMG]

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 15, 2014

Hirsch Ascot... doesn't look out of place on a military or a dress watch and can be had in black or a deep brown that would work with your piece...
    P1000103.JPG

looks like I got the black sheep of the family!:cautious:

gatorcpa likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

You missed your chance today:

Recommended Vintage Omega Watches On Ebay (not Inquiries)

That's the right band for your watch.
    gatorcpa

10. rhetoric Jan 16, 2014

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 16, 2014

Thanks for all the replies folks, pity I missed the one on the bay (bloody work taking up my time!).

I'm going for the utility look so I'll do some more searching based on your suggestions.

And thanks for the offer Rhett, but I need and 18mm lug width (unless yours is an 18).

If I'm successful I'll have a nice shiny strap to spare, maybe I could get a stunning rare almost NOS unusual minty vintage Omega from OCWatchco to go with it :D

12. rhetoric Jan 16, 2014

Yeah, it is 18mm Jim, so pm me if interested.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 16, 2014

Consider it done Sir!

(UB reply - "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living" :D)

NCO.jpg

Mad Dog and UncleBuck like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2017

Trying to help @UncleBuck decide on a strap for his latest baby.

Here's what I ended up with, I was trying for that brown colour used on US Army belts/chinstraps and cap peaks around WW2.
    Mine isn't quite there, a bit too pale, needs to be browner, but it'll do until the right one comes along.

Cheers Jim
    Jim

TanStrap1.JPG

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2017

This is the colour (color) I would like for mine.

SBB.jpg

UncleBuck likes this.
  16. ConElPueblo Apr 17, 2017

I'll recommend Hadley Roma's Oil Tan leather strap - it is amazing and patinates wonderfully. One of my favourite straps.

Couldn't find a decent reference photo, but have a look at http://hadleyroma.com/ where they have a very nice catalogue.

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 17, 2017

That's cool, I wish I could find the O.D. cotton in a 2 piece 18mm.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2017

Haven't seen any for a while.

Seen a few 16mm in Navy colours and some smaller in other colours but not the OD 18mm.

I think @Buster had his Dirty Dozen on those, maybe he has a stash?

:D