Forums Latest Members
  1. ross2187 Oct 8, 2017

I've got my new to me 1968 Constellation coming back shortly from it's service and I'm thinking of what kind of straps I want to get her. I've got my eye on a nice leather bit, and hopefully a matching Omega buckle for it.

Now I think this watch is a little too dressy for a Nato strap, has anyone done a Perlon before? Pictures?

If I remember correctly, the strap for a 68 Constellation is at 18mm, correct?

Many thanks!
    Ross

2. Noddyman Oct 9, 2017

There is no right or wrong when it comes to straps, all down to personal taste. I would go with a nice classic leather but the perlon in a dark brown or black may work. I wouldn't go Nato but that's just me. The lug width will be 18mm or 19mm depending on which model you have. Easiest way is to measure between the lugs.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2017

Constellation = Bracelet or dress leather strap (no "vintage" or distressed stuff).

Seamaster (original series, not modern) = As above, but maybe a distressed Horween, plus Perlon.

Modern Seamasters, as above plus NATOs and whatever else.

If you want to wear a Perlon or NATO strap, maybe you need to buy another watch to match the strap.

(How's that for enablement :D.)

4. TropicConnie Oct 9, 2017

I wouldn't wear a Perlon or NATO with a Constellation, they lead to scratching the caseback sooner or later. For me personally, it's a choice between a Beads of Rice, Milanese mesh, and leather.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 9, 2017

Putting a nylon strap on a Connie is just plain wrong IMHO - but each to their own.
    A "68 Connie' covers a number of case styles and lug widths - so pics would help.

Davidt and mikechi22 like this.
  6. fjf Oct 9, 2017

A dark brown croc strap IMO.

WhatYourWatchSay and mikechi22 like this.
  7. mikechi22 Oct 9, 2017

At the risk of being an old fuddy-duddy, I would say never to Perlon, NATO, distressed leather, canvas, racing style straps. The Constellation was the flagship watch of an elegant, former era. A fine leather, alligator or a period bracelet is the only thing that will do for a watch like that! If you’re more of a casual dresser, get a shade of brown leather or go with steel.

There’s applicable wisdom in this article:

https://www.gq.com/story/older-men-not-dressing-age-appropriate

I would retitle it: Is Your Watch Too Old for that Strap?

8. ross2187 Oct 9, 2017

Ha! Fantastic thoughts everyone! My Connie will definitely be living mostly on a leather strap. A nato is a no go for her, for sure. I still like the idea of a perlon for more casual but dressy situations. Here in Texas, it's hot year around.

For those that asked for a picture, here she is before she quickly went off to service.

IMG_9901.JPG
    mikechi22 likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 9, 2017

Are c-cases not 19mm between lugs?

10. adi4 Oct 9, 2017

For Texas, a nice perlon is not a bad option as it can keep the case lifted off a sweaty wrist and as long as it fits relatively snug, shouldn't cause any issues to the case back. An 18mm Eulit perlon fits pretty well for 19mm lugs in case that's the lug width.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. spiralkladd Oct 9, 2017

It is just a matter of if gets well or not. I would try and see how those two match with each other.

12. Noddyman Oct 9, 2017

I've just Googled the C case references and everything I can find says 19mm.

13. ross2187 Oct 9, 2017

What does it say? I've seen conflicting results.. I would measure mine, but it's not on hand! lol

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 9, 2017

No issue with a high quality perlon on this watch if you live in hot humid conditions.

Light grey looks good on stainless watches.

15. mikechi22 Oct 9, 2017

I live in the hottest, humidest part of the world and I shall never surrender to a synthetic strap! I just wear it a little loose and keep a cloth handy!

16. ross2187 Oct 9, 2017

Stronger man than I!! Where do you live if I may ask?

17. peire06 Oct 9, 2017

I have had 3 C-case Constellation (pics below) and they were all 19mm.

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_4305.JPG Omega Constellation 4.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  18. GuiltyBoomerang Oct 9, 2017

A stainless band would be a good option, as well as more permeable leathers. As long as you give the watch band time to breathe and dry out it should be able to last for quite some time.

That it does - Eulit do quality ones, among other makers.

20171010_103934.jpg

Dial & Bezel and Foo2rama like this.
  19. TropicConnie Oct 9, 2017

If keeping your wrist cool is a priority, Milanese mesh is a nice period correct option which won't scuff up your caseback and still allows airflow. You can even add an Omega buckle to complete the look. Different reference, but from what I've learned a black dial with a black calendar is a bit of a rarity so I'm taking this opportunity to show her off.

[​IMG]

DT11, TexOmega and mikechi22 like this.
  20. mikechi22 Oct 9, 2017

Ok, it’s probably hyperbole that it’s “the hottest, most humid place,” but it’s plenty bad. Between Guangzhou and Hong Kong on the China side of the border.